Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 07:36 PM

Do you agree with a class gift?

Myleene Klass has hit out at mothers at her daughter's school who asked the singer and other parents to donate cash for a "class gift" for their children's birthday. party. They said if all the mums donated £10 each, they would be able to buy their child a nice gift.

Being fair. With these kids having all their class mates at school parties and each mum feeling obliged to buy a gift which is usually a thoughtless present, it makes sense to all chip in and buy the child a decent present. Having said that I would have thought Five pounds sufficient being as the mums have to fork out so much for the amount of parties the children go to these days.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 07:57 PM

Re: Do you agree with a class gift?

£10 is far too much. A piece of nonsense. £5 is more like the thing. Even that will be a struggle for some parents. Although, Myleen will be mixing in circles where a tenner doesn't mean much. I get her drift, but some people don't want to spend £10 on a child's gift. Imagine you had two kid's parties that weekend?
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 07:59 PM

But if there's 20 in the class does that mean they all contribute = £200 could get something very nice for that..
It's all got out of hand, I reckon.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by maursey ->
Myleene Klass has hit out at mothers at her daughter's school who asked the singer and other parents to donate cash for a "class gift" for their children's birthday. party. They said if all the mums donated £10 each, they would be able to buy their child a nice gift.

Being fair. With these kids having all their class mates at school parties and each mum feeling obliged to buy a gift which is usually a thoughtless present, it makes sense to all chip in and buy the child a decent present. Having said that I would have thought Five pounds sufficient being as the mums have to fork out so much for the amount of parties the children go to these days.
Thats a big no from me, this whole party thing has got way out of hand.
If you take a class of children there is going to be one child or more with a birthday every week that is a lot of money.

Most children have some kind of party at home , why do they need class parties.

It must be so embarrassing for the parents who don't have much money to have to keep saying 'no' the alternative being trying to scrape together all this wasted money .
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 09:22 PM

I still can't get my head around the child who's Birthday it was giving a gift bag to take home from their party? What's that all about? i think that came about in the early 90's i was totally flabbergasted and annoyed as it took the limelight away from the child who's Birthday it was.... If you get my drift
Or have i confused you all ha ha...
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 09:30 PM

A bit of a cheek to ask IMO.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
I still can't get my head around the child who's Birthday it was giving a gift bag to take home from their party? What's that all about? i think that came about in the early 90's i was totally flabbergasted and annoyed as it took the limelight away from the child who's Birthday it was.... If you get my drift
Or have i confused you all ha ha...
I understand this idea arrived from the USA Sue and another silly idea for me.
I have twin grandchildren a girl and boy aged 4 and they have a joint party with both lots of friends. The 'party bags' for so many cost a fortune but they have to give them because others do so it's a form of blackmail.

Whatever happened to a piece of birthday cake wrapped in a napkin to take home
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I understand this idea arrived from the USA Sue and another silly idea for me.
I have twin grandchildren a girl and boy aged 4 and they have a joint party with both lots of friends. The 'party bags' for so many cost a fortune but they have to give them because others do so it's a form of blackmail.

Whatever happened to a piece of birthday cake wrapped in a napkin to take home
That's what it was then, all the tradition of the Birthday Party has been taken away.
Potted meat sandwiches, Egg and cress. Trifles and Buns. They've all gone now and turned into Macdonalds.. Huh!!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 09:50 PM

Why would a whole class be expected to buy or contribute to a birthday present? Have things changed so much that now a child is expected to invite the whole class to his/her party? Children normally have their own little group of friends at school, these are surely the ones they invite to parties and I think most children like to choose a present for their friend“s birthday, it may not be an expensive all singing all dancing gift but it“s a present from a child to his/her friend, surely that is more important.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 09:53 PM

It's like office whip rounds. You can't all put the same in. The managers earn so much more. You have to give what you can afford. Stuff like that can make people feel really bad. It's all wrong.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top