Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 08:04 PM

Re: Charity Shops

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
So true OG. Ive just returned from a small town with more empty shops than a little,but there are now loads of Charity shops ,in one way its good for recycling but there is not the variety of shops and people will stay away.

I have noticed Sue in my village at christmas their shop windows were most attractive,and it did draw me to window shop..And a basket container i had given was full of nic nacs
Yes our local Charity shop was dressed up nice for Christmas too. I think most shops do a theme type window each Month to keep the flow of stock going.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bird ->
I must have been in a dozen today in a small town near where I live. I was looking for 500 piece jigsaws and I think everybody must have the same idea as I found very few. Didn't notice the shops looking like boutiques though!
Most of the smaller towns Charity Shops just remain the same, that's just how i prefer them
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Charity shops are fine but do they get lower business rates?. The greengrocer goes,the fish monger goes,only one butcher left.

All I see now are charity shops and hairdressers.
I think you are bang on there OG, it's the same in my area they are springing up all over the place, two butcher shops, a hardware shop, a newsagent, and a small drapery shop that was there since the 1930's have all gone. My wife loves the charity shops but tells me they are getting dearer and dearer, some of the stuff she says can be got new and cheaper in some of the big stores in town. They are obviously big business now and still get the cheaper rates, I don't think that's fair.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 08:36 PM

I'm a huge fan, been using them for years and now I volunteer in one. Most of the customers are lovely and I have such a laugh with them, and I've got so many great clothes, bags, shoes and jewellery I really never need shop again. Unless I need something really desperately I simply refuse to go to
M & S, House of Fraser and their ilk and pay outrageous prices. Also charity shops seem to be the only places where you can always find customers, unlike many department stores in my town which are empty.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 09:12 PM

I love them too, buy most of my clothes in them, they're especially useful for Victorian Steampunk outfits and cosplay for the youngsters. But, I'm not happy with the colour sorting on the rails, you have to sort through everything to find your size, I found it better when it was size order and the same type of items together.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 09:36 PM

Went I a few charity shops today, bought a cd and a few books. not keen on the clothing colour coding either, you end up all over the shop instead of searching in just one spot.
There is one that's been 'done up', very tasteful and the childrens area is so big and stuffed with toys and books, looks really good, they'll never want to come out. Suppose they have to compete with one another since there are some next door to each other at times.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 10:47 PM

I think it's nice that charity shops are looking more like ordinary shops instead of the drab and often smelly places they once were.

There is just one in our village and the window is themed and seasonal and always looks nice.
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 11:49 PM

Never been in one
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
Yes do i
I don't know, do you?.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Charity shops are fine but do they get lower business rates?. The greengrocer goes,the fish monger goes,only one butcher left.

All I see now are charity shops and hairdressers.

Yes, well I read somewhere that they do get much lower rates charged OG.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top