Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 08:47 AM

Re: Charity Shops

The clothes sizing can be a problem but not in all shops. The really good places sort both in colour and size, which is great, but to be honest I can't be bothered to look through clothes which aren't hung in size order, it really frustrates me and I don't know why the staff don't take the time to make it easier. It only takes 10 minutes. Nevertheless, you can get some wonderful one-off treasures in them.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 01:37 PM

I like charity shops and over the last two years very many of them have sprung up here, virtually for everything you can think of. I send almost all of my unwanted clothes and items to the animal charity shops, but the one thing that really does annoy me with charity shops is the fact that they want to charge new, or even more than new, prices for items they have been given. I know itīs for charity but if they keep doing this they will do themselves no favours. I for one object to paying the same as, or more, than I can go and buy the item new. A fair price is one thing, extortion is another.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 01:46 PM

If I'm on a day trip I love popping into their charity shops. It's part of the trip
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 02:07 PM

Landlords prefer their property to be occupied, councils prefer them occupied so they can get something back, so all round it makes sense.
You would be amazed at the cost to run these shops, even though the stock is free, they get a donation of clothes etc. and everything has to be checked over, cleaned and so on, the stock has to be moved from warehouse to shop, so they need vehicles and people to do this.
But did you know there has to be staff behind the scenes to run it.
They are more popular because of poverty, but if times change we may get a reversal of this phenomena.
One thing for sure we will always have the secondhand shop, but I wish there was more antique shops like they have in the Midlands.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 03:19 PM

I guess that people donating goods to the charity shops may feel a little aggrieved if they were almost giving away their donations, but I agree some shops do tend to overcharge.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 04:09 PM

A good charity shop turns around it's stock weekly to keep customers coming in.
Did you know that stock[clothes] that are not sold here are baled up and sold to rag merchants, they in turn bale them up and ship them to Africa, where the are sold to another merchant who sells them again and again, till the public get them.
There was a programme on the TV where this guy followed a bale, it finished up at a market which was about 4 miles long, and the products gradually go to the other end, where the folks bought them, that is why when you see shots from Africa a young lad might be wearing an Arsenal football shirt etc.
Quite an eyeopener to see.
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 06:01 PM

My old work mate in laws run a large chain of charity shops , can remember him telling me , anything good or of value handed in , they keep it them selfs and sale on ebay. And it was only just before xmas I was ear wigging a conversation two middle age woman talking , they worked in a charity shop and again was talking about how much money they made them self , taking anything good when stuff handed into their shop

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top