Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 10:14 AM

Thursday daily chat

Oh weather!
It's dull, dull, dull here again, and threatening rain. Ho hum. I think much of the UK is actually having a reasonable day, so i won't moan too much.
Nothing exciting happening here - I've done some washing but not hung it out, I'll take the dog out when I'm certain of a dry hour, and it's market day, so I'll probably go to town and get some fish for tonight. That's the sum total of my exciting day - what about you?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 10:38 AM

Re: Thursday daily chat

Fine at last after 48 hours of solid rain ( showers were forecast, a little optimistic as it turned out :rolleyes.

I am tearing my hair out last week I replaced the broccoli plants with new ones (which will be ready to eat next spring) because the cabbage white butterflies had turned them to lace. I also made a frame with netting to thwart the greedy caterpillars.

This morning I find the slugs have eaten half the new plants, all this rain has bought them out in force so its back to the garden center for my third lot of plants and little collars to keep the slugs off. The broccoli should it ever get past the first few weeks of life will prove to be very expensive..
Jackie
UK
Jackie is female  Jackie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 11:26 AM

Off to the gym, then out to lunch with a friend.

then this afternoon, doing my best to try and work out the recycling binds

What goes where, jezzzz , you need a degree in knowing what can go in what bin
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 11:32 AM

Clouding over here after a sunny start to the day.

Really must get down to packing today, we're off to Devon for a week ........ surely the weather can't be as bad as it was there last year:rolleyes:

Thankfully there are signs of recovery from my head cold today ......why do colds aways feel worse in the summer months?:rolleyes:

I hope everyone has a good day!
MrsH
Hampshire, UK
MrsH is female  MrsH has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 11:36 AM

It's a bit overcast here today but I don't think we'll have any rain, good job too as I've got washing out! I'm sitting in the lounge surrounded by shredded dog toy ( one of those knotty rope things) so I really ought to hoover it all up. Why can't my dog play nicely? :rolleyes:
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 11:38 AM

Its too hot here. Poor dogs only got a quick 20 min lead walk and then come home and dived in thier paddling pool to cool off.
I am honestly getting sick of the heat now you can't even cool down at night.
The ground is like concrete andso dry its cracking up.
They have said we are mean't to get some storms tonight hopefully they will clear the air.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by madmare ->
Its too hot here. Poor dogs only got a quick 20 min lead walk and then come home and dived in thier paddling pool to cool off.
I am honestly getting sick of the heat now you can't even cool down at night.
The ground is like concrete andso dry its cracking up.
They have said we are mean't to get some storms tonight hopefully they will clear the air.
MM Can we really be in the same country when I went down the field yesterday there was a heron wading in the middle of the pasture, wish I had my camera with me at the time!
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 11:46 AM

I know I am finding it equally hard to believe there is all this rain I keep hearing about. Although a couple of weeks ago a mile up the road had a couple of heavy downpours but it missed us completely.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 11:50 AM

Mmmm, I think we need to tip the country up a bit - pick it up by Cornwall and Pembroke and let you eastern folks have a bit of our excess wet stuff

(Unusually) I have the TV on (Normally it stays off till 6pm, with the exception of live sport) and am following the Harry Patch funeral. It's really quite a significant day, isn't it? Maybe it is prompting a surge of thought about the horror of WW1, the weakness of the treaties which ended it, the rise of fascism to WW2 and on to current conflicts. Putting a human face on these things brings the true facts home.

Isn't Wells a lovely place?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

06-08-2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Mmmm, I think we need to tip the country up a bit - pick it up by Cornwall and Pembroke and let you eastern folks have a bit of our excess wet stuff

(Unusually) I have the TV on (Normally it stays off till 6pm, with the exception of live sport) and am following the Harry Patch funeral. It's really quite a significant day, isn't it? Maybe it is prompting a surge of thought about the horror of WW1, the weakness of the treaties which ended it, the rise of fascism to WW2 and on to current conflicts. Putting a human face on these things brings the true facts home.

Isn't Wells a lovely place?
DM I had forgotten the funeral was today , I will catch it on the news later.
I just hope when the last human reminders of WWI are gone we will remember their stories .

Yes Wells is a lovely place I haven't been for many years but particularly like the area around the Bishops Palace where the mute swans ring a bell to be fed, and of course the magnificent cathedral . I am in awe of those who buillt our great Cathedrals, so much skill in the hands of men.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top