Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 02:54 PM

Fair Isle: The remote island where jumpers are always in fashion

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...tland-51370635

Fifty years ago, the allure of Fair Isle knitwear inspired freelance photographer Chris Morphet to travel to the UK's most remote community. His pictures documented the lives of Shetland islanders and the distinctive designs which are still influencing fashion today.

Chris felt drawn to Fair Isle after seeing the famous knitwear on the streets of London.

So in 1970, the 26-year-old photographer headed north to the remote island, which is located 80 miles off the Scottish mainland, half way between Orkney and Shetland.

Now THAT takes me back - I had several like that one on the right - bought in a jumble sale for 50p …..
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 03:56 PM

Re: Fair Isle: The remote island where jumpers are always in fashion

Owning a sweater (jumper) like this is like having a child:

It's a sizable investment and it yours forever, even in those moments when you are growing weary of having it around.

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Owning a sweater (jumper) like this is like having a child:

It's a sizable investment and it yours forever, even in those moments when you are growing weary of having it around.

Indeed .....

For ladies and babies:

Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 04:09 PM

I had a sweater just like the one on the left in Omah's photo in the 70s but I grew out of it. It went to someone else via a jumble sale.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 04:37 PM

I had several, cardies & jumpers, they made me itch, my Gran used to knit them. Can't wear wool.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

19-02-2020, 05:17 PM

Fit out the whole family in Fair Isle .....

Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 05:42 PM

I loved this article when I saw it this morning, brought me back too. My mum knit me a white jumper with a Fair Isle band across the top when I was about 14. When I decided after a few years it wasn't trendy enough I passed it on to my mother-in-law to be and she wore it for years
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I had several, cardies & jumpers, they made me itch, my Gran used to knit them. Can't wear wool.

Even cashmere?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
Even cashmere?
Can't afford cashmere, so no idea, but can't wear mohair either. Silk is OK though.
Glanny
N.Ireland

19-02-2020, 06:17 PM

Not normally in my price range either! I have a couple of cashmere jumpers that were reduced in Tesco a few years ago And a nearly new M&S long cardigan from a charity shop! So lovely and soft

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top