Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 11:43 AM

Re: Who has toured the nile ?

The main thing is not to fall in the Nile is filthy and it’s water will kill you .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 12:17 PM

We haven’t been on a cruise on the Nile but we stayed on a private island in the Nile, King’s Island (used to be called Crocodile Island) …. It was almost opposite the Valley of the Kings. We went on a few daily boat trips and crossed the Nile to the Valley of the Kings several times.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 01:00 PM

I've had a piddle in the Nile while on a site visit years ago if that counts?
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Has any one else taken one of the Nile cruiser hotel boats from Aswan to Luxor. (or Visa versa ?)
If so, I am curious about something. In the book, River God, the author, Wilbur Smith, relates a tale of what he called "THE GATES OF HAPI". Supposedly, the Nile is constricted between steep granite cliffs somewhere between Aswan and Luxor.

Now, I took that trip and I never saw such. We might have passed though that area at night while I was sleeping.
Did you ever tour the Dearne, Bakerman? I think you would be awestruck by the great weir of Glob. It lies between the Vale of Clomp and the marshes of Flymo. A visit to the nearby tomb of Alf is also well worth getting your shoes muddy for.
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

21-06-2021, 01:14 PM

In the book, River God, the author, Wilbur Smith, relates a tale of what he called "THE GATES OF HAPI". Supposedly, the Nile is constricted between steep granite cliffs somewhere between Aswan and Luxor

Could this be a possible answer bakerman?

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Hapi
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

21-06-2021, 01:21 PM

I don't understand you said it was a 3-4 hour journey by coach. 3-4 hour journey from where ? From downtown Cairo, up the hill to the Giza Plateau and the Pyramids, is at best a 45 minute drive.
I would guess from either Sharm el Sheik or Hurghada which are the two of the main tourist destinations in Egypt both located on the Red Sea 300 - 400 kilometers south of Cairo.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 01:45 PM

Yes a week long one from Luxor down to the Aswan dam and back visiting all the important ancient sites and including things like a felucca trip.
Food and evening entertainment great, cabin basic but adequate.
Lovely weather, relaxing and very cheap.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 03:50 PM

We went on a Nile cruise in the 90's aboard The Crown Prince which was immaculately clean. They even let me take a look in the kitchens to see how clean it all was. No food problems , the food was fantasti in fact. Visited all the temples along the Nile, Edfu (Edpoo), Luxor, Com Ombo, Dendera etc then took a flight down to Abu Simbel and then coach up to Cairo and the pyramids.

River God is one of my all time favourite books btw.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 04:44 PM

on the River Nile

since the build of the Aswan dam the river is clogging up

going through the lock gates

when the boat is lowered in the lcck then the haggling starts

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 04:55 PM

Parking up for the night on the River Nile

sunset on the River Nile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top