Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 05:14 PM

Re: Who has toured the nile ?

One word where the Nile is concerned --- Schistosomiasis.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I don't understand. What has a river cruise to do with the pyramids of the Giza Plateau ? 2nd, the Giza pyramids are in the crowded suburbs of Cairo. 3rd, you said it was a 3-4 hour journey by coach. 3-4 hour journey from where ? From downtown Cairo, up the hill to the Giza Plateau and the Pyramids, is at best a 45 minute drive. To my knowledge, the entire area around the Giza Plateau is completely safe.
Perhaps you have become confused with some other area ? Maybe you are remembering the 3 hour drive from Aswan to Abu Simbal ?
Apologies for going off topic but this was in response to Summer who wanted to see the Pyramids. I was giving my experience.

We berthed at Port Said and did the coach journey from there, and at times drove alongside the Nile. Does that count?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Apologies for going off topic but this was in response to Summer who wanted to see the Pyramids. I was giving my experience.
Jazzi, no apologies are necessary. I completely understand.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ullabi ->
Could this be a possible answer bakerman?

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Hapi
Ullabi, thank you very much. Jabal al-Silsila may indeed be what Wilbur Smith was referring to when he referred to "the Gates of Hapi".
It is just that I was expecting the cliffs to be considerably steeper. perhaps Wilbur Smith was exaggerating a bit.

I pulled up Jabal al-Silsila on google maps and indeed the Nile does constrict considerably.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 06:16 PM

I dont mean to go off topic but I must tell you when I was on our cruise ship on the Nile I made my way down to the captains deck , I knocked on the door he was sitting with his feet up steering the ship with his foot , he called me in and asked the young servant lad to bring me tea , I sat chatting with the captain and he asked me to take over and steer the ship . The control was a small 6inch handle I took the handle and steered the ship for about 4 minutes with him telling me a bit to the left a bit to the right .

I never told the other passengers !

Back to topic
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2021, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I dont mean to go off topic but I must tell you when I was on our cruise ship on the Nile I made my way down to the captains deck , I knocked on the door he was sitting with his feet up steering the ship with his foot , he called me in and asked the young servant lad to bring me tea , I sat chatting with the captain and he asked me to take over and steer the ship . The control was a small 6inch handle I took the handle and steered the ship for about 4 minutes with him telling me a bit to the left a bit to the right .
You didn't happen to take a cruise on a cargo ship down the Suez canal a couple of months ago by any chance Susan? Just asking

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Back to topic
Yep.

Sorry B'man. Couldn't resist it.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2021, 12:49 PM

Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2021, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->

I caught mum wandering away, head down, looking at her camera and suddenly a gang of kids encircled her so I quickly forced my way forward, grabbed her arm and pulled her out. She wasn’t aware of any ‘danger’, just exclaimed something like why did I do that. I think we ended up near the coach then for safety.

Then there were the ones wanting to take your photo, with your camera, for a small charge.

But saying that, I am happy we did the trip, because it was a wonder, seeing them, and the Sphinx.
Ah! That brought back memories of the notorious Gillie Gillie men, back in 50s Egypt!

They were very well known around Suez & the Tourist sites.

Among the best jugglers & card manipulators of their time.
Put their own crowd around a mug & away they go.

They would climb the side of ships, in Suez, and the crew often had to hose them off with a pressure hose.

They could make watches disappear, wallets too, and were at the beginning of the scam business!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top