Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 12:33 PM

Re: Is this a coincidence with Brexit?

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I was only teasing OGF, and you're right.
What I find ...... disconcerting maybe the best description, is how the vocal minority (and it's often quite a small minority) seem to get so much attention in the media.
If ever proof were needed that our media are attempting to sway public opinion rather than reprt news as is thier primary function, this is surely it.
When even some Scots suggest a legal move to prevent the unwarranted publicity of the SNP leader you know things have gone too far in favour of the minority.
I know Zaphod.....
Yes it's always the squeaky wheel that gets the oil....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I know Zaphod.....
Yes it's always the squeaky wheel that gets the oil....
I think that we still, in spite of what's visibly happening, put too much trust in what the Media (or Politicians) tell us about.

Many Countrymen claim to have "Discovered it first", "Handled lockdowns Better", had a "better set of Politicians in charge", "released the information earlier", "Got the Vaccine out there quickest".

We have learned, as we go along that we should be counting virus responsible deaths, not all deaths.

We have learned that the counting systems & tracking systems may not be all the same, but take the word of the Politicians.

China must be top of the league if we believe the political output !

Much has been learned.

We'll see what happens next!

Notice:- If you think this is all rubbish, please suggest it in a gentlemanly way!

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I think that we still, in spite of what's visibly happening, put too much trust in what the Media (or Politicians) tell us about.

Many Countrymen claim to have "Discovered it first", "Handled lockdowns Better", had a "better set of Politicians in charge", "released the information earlier", "Got the Vaccine out there quickest".

We have learned, as we go along that we should be counting virus responsible deaths, not all deaths.

We have learned that the counting systems & tracking systems may not be all the same, but take the word of the Politicians.

Much has been learned.

Notice:- If you think this is all rubbish, please suggest it in a gentlemanly way!

I think you're right.

There have been many reports of the number of incidences of deaths due to Covid which have later been questioned as being death due to an already underlying cause.

Such people's deaths may have been accelerated by Covid infection but are quite likely to have occurred later, perhaps soon afterward in some cases, due to their already existing illness.

Nevertheless, their deaths have been recorded as being due to Covid alone.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

Much has been learned.

Like JBR in the post above, I must agree with you.

The way deaths are counted here in the UK is little short of ridiculous; it varies tremendously from country to country; and the suggestion that any one person could be responsible to any meaningful degree for deaths caused or avoided by a virus is simply ludicrous.

Short of legally-enforced strict curfews until a full immunisation programme becomes effective there is no way to control a virus.
A virus spreads from person to person (one way or another, and similarly for other creatures) and adapts (or mutates) as it spreads and ages.

These mutations are the most probable major cause for higher death rates in some places, far more than any intervention from mere humans - as the recently-publicised UK variation is surely making quite obvious.

Our media are IMHO again guilty of gross misrepresentation, just as they are in other areas which I'd better not name here for fear of derailing the thread.
But why can't the media report instead of putting unnecessary and potentially damaging "spin" on such important matters?
There is no deed for it.
None whatsoever.
They are damaging themselves by making us distrust their output, as the BBC are discovering to their cost.

So no Tedc, it isn't rubbish.
Though sadly I fully expect someone to disagree with what I have said in an attempt to suggest that it is.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 10:31 PM

For what it's worth weedeek, when this is all over, I think Boris will probably go down as one of the best Prime Ministers since the war.
Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That is so sad.

Only for the small minority of hate-filled objectionists.
Fortunately the majority are more logical in their views.
Poor Maggie - instantly consigned to the dustbin of history.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 10:31 PM

Basically we are all controlled by the media.
Everything we do, and everything that we know comes from the internet and or the media. Who ever controls the media, controls the people!
I'm not saying everything within the media and internet is wrong, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff.....

It was much easier when life was ordered on just a local basis.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2020, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Poor Maggie - instantly consigned to the dustbin of history.
Only when you choose to ignore the words "one of" and interpret it incorrectly as "the".

Maggie can be considered as "one of the best Prime Ministers since the war." too.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

29-12-2020, 03:22 PM

Only when you choose to ignore the words "one of" and interpret it incorrectly as "the".

Maggie can be considered as "one of the best Prime Ministers since the war." too.
Here! Here! Zaphod......
If only she was here now.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2020, 03:31 PM

Here! Here! Zaphod......
If only she was here now.....
Hey, we are in enough already.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2020, 04:28 PM

In my opinion, THE best since Churchill.

It is just possible that Boris might turn out to be almost as good as she was!

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top