Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2021, 12:53 PM

Re: Workhorse

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
No LD, the exhaust fell of the car I bought, looks like the old workhorse may be coming out of retirement.

Ah OK, that's fair enough. Tell her I'm sorry.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2021, 07:31 AM

Talk about wear and tear, didn't get the Workhorse back in time, had to use the Wife's car for evening work, got in and out 60 times in two and a half hours, at that rate, if used everyday, the leather seat bolster would not last a year.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2021, 08:59 AM

The lights on my workhorse's bullbar have been playing up - they are LEDs.

The right indicator was the first to fail. The damn thing is potted to make it water proof. I drilled out some of the clear potting to expose a section of the circuit board and discovered that a diode had gone open circuit. A bit more judicious drilling enabled me to bypass the diode and the indicator worked again.

A couple of weeks ago the left indicator failed, turned out to be the same problem, so same solution. This morning I noticed the right running light section was out so I am going to have to see if it is the diode in that. The extra 1.6v doesn't seem to have affected the LEDs.

I wonder if the potting stuff is making the diode overheat? Its a damn nuisance and a stupid fault. To replace both units is $100
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2021, 10:15 AM

Bruce, what is potting stuff?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2021, 11:28 AM

Talk about wear and tear, didn't get the Workhorse back in time, had to use the Wife's car for evening work, got in and out 60 times in two and a half hours, at that rate, if used everyday, the leather seat bolster would not last a year.
I wore out the seat wing in my workhorse (also my main car) and when I came to part exchange it, the guy at the garage would not sit in the driver's seat because he had a phobia against exposed sponge. True!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 01:30 AM

Bruce, what is potting stuff?
It's a resin you find poured into electronic components, can be clear as in this case but more often black.

It serves several purposes but the most common are waterproofing, or purely to stop people reverse engineering the item or , and this really annoys me, making the item unrepairable so replacement is the only option.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top