Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Quickbeam
New Member!
United Kingdom
Quickbeam is male 

10-01-2021, 09:08 AM

Social media controls:

This is something that I’ve been banging on about for the last few years as social media users discover that a lone instigator in a back bedroom can easily whip up a baying crowd over any otherwise benign issue into a dangerous frenzied mob (mentioning no names, but the obvious orange Tango man springs to mind!).

The actions of this week will probably be seen as the catalyst to bring about the international restrictions over the freedom that social platforms claim is our responsibility to police. This week has proved that we can’t be trusted with that task. With Trump now suggesting that he’ll start his own platform, which will undoubtedly be a true wild west platform, the alarm bells must surely be ringing.

I’m sure that many will cry ‘loss of freedom of speech’, but freedom of speech has never out-trumped (pun intended...) freedom from consequences.
Quickbeam
New Member!
United Kingdom
Quickbeam is male 

10-01-2021, 09:11 AM

Re: Social media controls:

...and ad I posted that, Apple announced that they have removed Parler from their App Store.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 09:15 AM

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 09:16 AM

Rock and a hard place, as usual.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 12:15 PM

The entire world ought to ban trump!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 12:18 PM

People who worry about the vaccine panic that there might be a micro chip inside.

We don't have to worry about that because social media and the net already have all your data and now they are taking away the fun part used to entice people and just using it to control everyone. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy. It was always bound to happen.

Other countries have shown what is possible. I've heard that in China you can hardly buy anything without your phone. People who don't have phones just lose access to services. That's starting to happen here too.

In terms of controversial media, if you get rid of it online people will be even more convinced that there is a hidden agenda. At least online you can monitor what is going on. People will just find another means of communication. They always have.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
The entire world ought to ban trump!
I think they have already ST. Amazon are pulling the platform for the Parler app. Even if he sets up a news channel he will have to broadcast from outside the US. Then You tube could ban it. Not that I'm interested in the odious man, but the information we have is becoming so narrow that we might as well not bother. I'm very angry at him for creating a climate where we end up with further restrictions to what we can and can't read.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 04:56 PM

Trump or an equally loyal American republican man will (hopefully) soon return as POTUS. Goodness only knows what a mess he, or even she, will have to put right after the Dems get kicked out.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Trump or an equally loyal American republican man will (hopefully) soon return as POTUS. Goodness only knows what a mess he, or even she, will have to put right after the Dems get kicked out.
All I can say is God help America over the next 4 yrs.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 11:16 PM

I agree with Annie.....
I believe terrorist and criminal activity is monitored on social media and if restrictions start to apply they will all go underground. I believe that social media has become a very useful tool for the police and security services.
Better the devil you know!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top