Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 08:28 PM

Re: Democracy

Low voter turn out equals shyte government eventually !!
Electorate must participate and vote for what they want !!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Trouble is Dex, a vote for any other than the two main parties would be a wasted vote....
Precisely the point I made earlier in my post. Until we have a fair, true and fully proportional representation of the electorate's wished, we will never even get close to a democracy.

As an aside, I read a little quote last week (can't remember who said it).."Democracy is the worse system
in existence, apart from every other system".
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by dextrous63 ->
precisely the point i made earlier in my post. Until we have a fair, true and fully proportional representation of the electorate's wished, we will never even get close to a democracy.

As an aside, i read a little quote last week (can't remember who said it).."democracy is the worse system
in existence, apart from every other system".
I like it Dex....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 10:50 PM

An excellent discussion started by Swimfeeders. Thank you, SF.
I'd like to jump in and add my thoughts to many of the posts and I hope nobody minds if I do it by putting everything in one post rather than reply to several posts individually.

(SF) "We do not have... politically elected officials or judges."
Election of judges is something I have mentioned in previous discussions. At present, I believe they are elected by their own peers, and I have suggested that they, like politicians, should be individually named and elected by the electorate.

(Zaph) "Why can we not do the same (vote out) for the influential House of Lords politicians?"
(Poo) "In this country, the majority want to get rid of the Lords, yet it doesn't happen."
(Poo) "Simply ask the people, then let the people elect the upper chamber."

Exactly. Again, I have suggested the same elsewhere, that a much smaller upper chamber should be elected by the electorate.

(OGF) "Anyone like Farage who cares about this country and could have made a difference is made to look a fool and allowed to be ridiculed by the media."
Yes, our media are all biased to some extent in one direction or another. The problem is that we don't have an equal balance in number or influence between left-wing and right-wing media. For example, in television the BBC, Sky and Channel 4 are distinctly left-wing, yet there are no TV companies with a definite right-wing bias. Better still would be to have a distinctly unbiased group of media.

(Dex) "The problem is more about there being no proportional representation."
(OGF) "Trouble is Dex, a vote for any other than the two main parties would be a wasted vote."

I think that if we did have PR, and the system was clearly explained to people and that every vote would count under that system, people would be more likely to vote for the party they really like rather than a 'second choice'. The MPs then elected would more clearly represent the wishes of the people and if some don't like it, they know what they can do!

(Lindy) "What we need is some form of ongoing electoral approval or disapproval which is capable of ousting someone from their post! The MP for the Isle of Wight, (etc.)"
I completely agree. My own MP is like that! A possible solution would be to periodically invite complaints from the local electorate and, if numbers are sufficiently high, a by-election must be held.

(OGF) "They even altered the constituency boundaries to make sure they didn't lose seats."
That is also very true though, of course, it is done to try to ensure an equal number of voters in each constituency. Fortunately, it doesn't happen very often. Incidentally, Scotland seems to have more MPs per head of population than England!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 11:03 PM

A good response JB and I agree with most of the points you raised. Have you thought about standing in the next GE? You would get my vote.... And I would help with the deposit if it all went tits up....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 11:26 PM

A good response JB and I agree with most of the points you raised. Have you thought about standing in the next GE? You would get my vote.... And I would help with the deposit if it all went tits up....
It had never crossed my mind, but kind of you to offer.
Which party should I stand for?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 11:45 PM

It is sad, the lack of democracy but, that has been the case for so long, folks cannot be pleased all of the time.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

10-01-2021, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
It had never crossed my mind, but kind of you to offer.
Which party should I stand for?
The Over Stressed Seniors & Ex Rovers Supporters

Or 'Tossers' for short.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-01-2021, 01:35 PM

The Over Stressed Seniors & Ex Rovers Supporters

Or 'Tossers' for short.....
Oh, that wouldn't work. I have never had even the slightest interest in football.
A better idea:

The Over Stressed Seniors and Ex Remoaners

Or 'TOSSERs'
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

10-01-2021, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh, that wouldn't work. I have never had even the slightest interest in football.
A better idea:

The Over Stressed Seniors and Ex Remoaners

Or 'TOSSERs'
Yep, that hits the spot JB....

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top