Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

07-04-2013, 12:37 PM

Re: Things you want to ask

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Willow darlin' you obviously didn't know, but those of us who have lived in Sussex long enough, refer to Eastbourne and its surrounds at 'god's waiting room'. Coming along the coast further to the west is Peacehaven - or once again given another title by the locals - Geriatrica-on-sea.
One took one's life in one's hands when walking along the Eastbourne prom, as I did daily. You were nearly either totalled by invalid scooters or geriatric roller skaters!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Something I've always wanted to know...... Who was the man who played the saw outside the city hall in Belfast?

When I was a student at QUB in the 1960's, he was often standing outside the City Hall playing a saw, just like a violin. He is mentioned in Van Morrison's song, Sense of Wonder.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 02:05 PM

We have redbacks here in the south too, usually find them in outdoor furniture, sheds etc, never seen one in the house but during hot weather I always hose down the outside chairs etc they only bite if they're disturbed ( so I'm told, ) also huge huntsman which Bruce mentioned I have one in the laundry and I call him Charley, he's been there for yonks ,at least I think it's the same one and he doesn't bother me at all, he eats mossies and flies etc. The one I'm scared of is the white tail spider as it's got a really nasty bite and has made some folk quite ill and it's another that doesn't make a web but tends to like rugs, jumpers towels etc and if I've left anything like those laying about I always give them a good shake before using them

White tail

The weather's still perfect 28c all this week and more to come and the nights are cool at last so good for sleeping
more later
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 03:12 PM

Another question for those of you live in the hotter climes ....... how do you cope with mosquitos and what do you use if you are bitten by them?

Whenever we go abroad on holiday I'm sure the mozzies make a beeline for me. Whatever I use doesn't seem to deter them and I've had many bite that has come up in huge blisters which a nurse has to aspirate when I get home
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 03:35 PM

I use a few things that seem to work .... garlic clove each day , A vit B tablet a good spray on anti mossie and a cream called Skin so soft , its by Avon but can be brought from amazon. Its a moisturiser but I was told about it years ago as being good for detering biting insects.
I use to suffer some thing terrible from bites even in the uk. But since using a mixture of these things I swear I have only had one bite in the last five years .... Makes travelling so much more enjoyable.
The garlic and vit B need to be taken for a few weeks before it starts to work.
SOUL DJ
Hants. UK
SOUL DJ is female  SOUL DJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 05:38 PM

What a really interesting thread, can't top the spiders and snakes, not to mention weather!
Here in the south we have HMS Victory, Mary Rose, HMS Warrior and the Spinnaker Tower, so mainly History.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.50063...h=152&c=7&rs=1
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
I use a few things that seem to work .... garlic clove each day , A vit B tablet a good spray on anti mossie and a cream called Skin so soft , its by Avon but can be brought from amazon. Its a moisturiser but I was told about it years ago as being good for detering biting insects.
I use to suffer some thing terrible from bites even in the uk. But since using a mixture of these things I swear I have only had one bite in the last five years .... Makes travelling so much more enjoyable.
The garlic and vit B need to be taken for a few weeks before it starts to work.
Thanks Baggy, I don't think I could manage a garlic clove but I have made a note of the Vit B tablet and the Skin so Soft moisturer
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 06:53 AM

I'm allergic to mossie bites, come up in huge blisters too so at night use an electric plug in repellent and when outdoors use aeroguard personal spray, I've used the Avon spray too and it's pleasant but doesn't last long and too dear (for me) , if we're having a barbie I light a few citronella oil candles/lamps ,they're very good.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
One took one's life in one's hands when walking along the Eastbourne prom, as I did daily. You were nearly either totalled by invalid scooters or geriatric roller skaters!
Yes, but one should continually take the risk, especially if one likes to be beside the seaside.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Another question for those of you live in the hotter climes ....... how do you cope with mosquitos and what do you use if you are bitten by them?

Whenever we go abroad on holiday I'm sure the mozzies make a beeline for me. Whatever I use doesn't seem to deter them and I've had many bite that has come up in huge blisters which a nurse has to aspirate when I get home
When I first came to Australia in the 60s mozzie bites were a bit of a torment for about a year but these days I hardly even notice them. As someone else mentioned Aeroguard is the wonder substance - personally I mostly use it to keep bush flies away when they are bad (they crawl on your face - one or two is OK but a swarm drives you up the wall). I am taking a bottle with me to Malaysia and Cambodia, brilliant stuff no insect comes anywhere near you while you have it on.

Aussie invention

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top