Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 02:56 AM

Technology - what do you think about it?

And what did you think about it?

Were you a technophobe? Or have you always taken to it like a duck to water
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 05:58 AM

Re: Technology - what do you think about it?

Not exactly "like a duck to water" Azz but I get along and always have. I've always been more scientific than artistic.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 06:47 AM

Most of it is very useful - some things are not for me - but in the main I love it !
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 07:57 AM

I had to start using it when they were first introduced to high schools in the late 80s. Luckily, we were all given training in using computers and we had to keep up with the students (or even try to be a step in front of them!) and I'm really grateful for that in retirement.

My OH was a journalist and he is heavily into technology (as is his eldest son who has an Hons degree in IT) and consequently we have every bit of technology you can poke a stick at - desktops, laptops, ipads, iphones, e-readers and I love it all.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 09:19 AM

We resist it as much as we can, only got a computer about 10 years ago, my mobile makes phone calls and I only top up annually about £10 each time so not a big user of that. Only things I really love are my MP3 player and my kindle and my husband is rather fond of his sat nav. Never felt the need for anything else and if/when we move we will be ditching the computers I think as we simplify life and cut back expenditure, TV will go at the same time.

So no not keen on technology.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 10:34 AM

I did my degree in Electrical engineering (back in the 60's) and spent most of my working life in IT. Now I avoid technology as much as possible.

I spent most of my life without a mobile phone, sat nav etc... and I learned the necessary skills to do without them. I have a PAYG mobile for emergency use, I can read a map, prefer real books etc...
I have a fairly basic car without the bells & whistles because I view them as simply more things to go wrong.

I wouldn't say I'm a Technophobe , it's just that I'm happy and able to do without most of it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 10:37 AM

I must say my husband is an excellent map reader too but it's me who navigates hence his preference for the sat nav
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
And what did you think about it?

Were you a technophobe? Or have you always taken to it like a duck to water
As I started off working as an 'apprentice' with GPO Telephones and even though I changed careers to power generation my jobs have always involved some degree of keeping up with technological changes in both my work and personal life. I bought my first computer in 1980

Who cannot enjoy technology and the wonderful things it has brought to our lives? cheap travel/transport, cheap instant global communication, a wider variety of plentiful affordable food, easier and safer jobs, labour saving devices in the home, longer lifespans, better health, the list goes on.

What is there not to like?

Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 11:02 AM

Hubby used to work for a company called Honeywell, which is all electronics, so he had to keep up.
We've got most of the gizmo's, he likes to keep up. Our son is the manager of an electronics company, so I'm surrounded by it
Me .. I prefer a real book and a PAYG 'phone, which is for emergency only. (or cheeky texts from my grandson )
If I want something doing on the computer, I just ask, if hubby can't help our son will do it.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 11:02 AM

I started programming in 1971 and worked in IT until 2002.
I've had PC's since sometime in the 80's Now use a laptop.
Can access internet on my mobile and do use it.
Sat Nav- no thanks. If I'm driving somewhere and a road to X looks interesting I'll take it and I don't want a machine telling me I'm going the wrong way!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top