Join for free
Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 09:52 AM

Re: Death Of Democracy

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Surely these are not the same opposition MPs getting the vapours because Boris used that vile, offensive, completely uncalled for, disgusting, insulting word - Humbug! ?
Shhh !

Don't say the "H" word !

shame !

shame !

shame !
Patriot1967
East Anglia
Patriot1967 is male  Patriot1967 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 10:31 AM

Getting back on topic, the death of democracy.....

The next election, and possible 2nd referendum, will probably be the last time(s) I vote. Because democracy has failed, our votes count for nothing.

If the Remainers eventually win, and Brexit never happens, it will come at a great cost. My faith in democracy is totally eroded, and many others feel the same. And many more will, too, if the referendum is finally ignored.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 10:49 AM

Some more kind words from the caring remainers here

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/0...oxic-language/
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 11:13 AM

http://veteransforbritain.uk/whitehallbriefing/

A man who has nothing to gain, just the facts. Argue the toss till your blue in the face, our elected MP's do not represent the electorate.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->

Convenient amnesia.

London call the tune. 60% of Londoners voted Remain. Population of 8 million. Population larger than Scotland and Wales combined. A population which is mainly made up of foreign ancestry ;

No wonder we have a fight on our hands.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/...alling-brexit/
London’s economy towers over the rest of the UK. From 13 per cent of the UK’s population, London generates about 23 per cent of UK GDP from which HM Treasury derives an equally large chunk of its tax receipts. Its economy is as diverse as its population, reflecting London’s English, British, European and international links. London is more than the big banks of ‘the City’. It is a global media, tourist, transport, IT, research, design and legal hub. The metropolis’s urban geography means its needs and policies – in housing, transport, policing, energy, education, immigration, race relations, the environment, physical and mental health, welfare and so forth – are on a scale and sometimes very different to those of any other region in the UK. London’s internationalism contrasts with the nationalist politics found in Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and increasingly in other areas of England. The metropolis might lack the formal devolved powers found in parts of the UK such as Scotland, but the power of London comes instead from its sheer economic and demographic size, and the influence of the wealth of political institutions based there
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Patriot1967 ->
Getting back on topic, the death of democracy.....

The next election, and possible 2nd referendum, will probably be the last time(s) I vote. Because democracy has failed, our votes count for nothing.

If the Remainers eventually win, and Brexit never happens, it will come at a great cost. My faith in democracy is totally eroded, and many others feel the same. And many more will, too, if the referendum is finally ignored.
UK will cease to exist.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 12:45 PM

What is worrying me at the moment is how long leavers will be content to post on the internet before it spills over onto the streets. I see and try to calm people on other sites who want to do violence if they are ignored. If democracy is allowed to die completely we really are in a dangerous place because it's all some people thought they had that stopped them rioting.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 01:34 PM

Julie
I don,t think there will be rioting over this Brexit fiasco. Yes, people are getting a bit hot under the collar but I cannot see us sinking to rioting. There may be protest marches and meetings but out and out rioting with bricks, petrol bombs and the like as they had in Northern Ireland some years ago when they had to call in troops to quell the angry mobs, No, I honestly cannot see it getting to this stage. We will leave eventually so let,s just be patient.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I don,t think there will be rioting over this Brexit fiasco. Yes, people are getting a bit hot under the collar but I cannot see us sinking to rioting. There may be protest marches and meetings but out and out rioting with bricks, petrol bombs and the like as they had in Northern Ireland some years ago when they had to call in troops to quell the angry mobs, No, I honestly cannot see it getting to this stage. We will leave eventually so let,s just be patient.

This is imho a naïve opinion.

What would it take for you to get up from your armchair and actually do something, to actually fight for your rights?

If they simply state that they are removing the vote from Briitish people, that there will be no further General Elections and that the establishment will run the show uncontested. . . would that be enough?

If they started seizing people at random off the streets and locking them up, perhaps those exercising their right to freedom of speech. . . would that be enough?

What if they removed your right to free speech would that be enough?

What needs to happen for you to get up and take to the streets ?

The truth is we are at war. It's a different kind of war, but it's a war nonetheless. Your have an establishment seeking to rule without democracy, a dictatorship, a tyranny. With that comes loss of freedoms, loss of rights. Drip by inevitable drip you WILL lose the right to freedom of speech/expression, you WILL lose your long standing right of Habeus Corpus (innocent until proved guilty) and your country will become a regime like so many others we watch on TV where people are constantly oppressed.

Is that what you want?

At what point on the progression to that situation do you suppose it is worth getting up and making a stand?

Right at the end when the tyranny is fully in place?

Or now, when people in their millions still have a chance to do something?

You might be utterly complacent and naïve but I have no doubts at all that millions of others will not be.

As soon as it becomes final that BrExit is being overturned, ignored, cancelled, then I suspect there will be absolute chaos. Whilst I am not in favour of violence, I except that a time inevitably comes when a foreign power or group seeks to take over a country and its people and at that point people have justification to fight for their rights freedoms and sovereignty.

I believe it WILL happen.

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->

Bread you forgot to mention the Labour Party en mass singing about 'cowards and traitors'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylb9subjoE4

I guess if BJ should had sung his speech and the word 'humbug ' it would have been ok

Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top