Join for free
Page 7 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 03:21 PM

Re: Death Of Democracy

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Yes, Back in the business world we can spot those companies who have the old paradigm (why should we change what we're doing? - everything is all right as it is).

So many firms have been wiped out by new methods used by online companies, like Amazon, and others, like Thomas Cook, have tried to sleepwalk their way through!

There is a big world out there. We need to agree deals, with all, for ourselves.

And we should run our own Country for our own population.
One of the principle methods that many online companies have employed is pay comparatively little tax

They are also predominantly base in the USA and Trump has already declared his hand if any country or trading bloc dares to make them pay taxes where transactions take place

No doubt you support these online companies
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
One of the principle methods that many online companies have employed is pay comparatively little tax

They are also predominantly base in the USA and Trump has already declared his hand if any country or trading bloc dares to make them pay taxes where transactions take place

Nevertheless, that midget macron took on trump, and forced him on his knees https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKCN1VG1N7
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 09:52 PM

Can you criticise a company for finding a way to minimise the tax on it's income?

Surely we all attempt to pay the minimum tax and it's up to the Country to decide what that is?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 11:51 PM

Can you criticise a company for finding a way to minimise the tax on it's income?
No, and the same goes for production costs. So if the EU offers better business environments, you can't blame companies for leaving the UK?
Patriot1967
East Anglia
Patriot1967 is male  Patriot1967 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 07:05 AM

Don't know about you, but, in my world, the number of "Bored out of their minds" and "What's the point of voting when they do what they want anyway" in our Public, has grown exponentially.

This CBB (Can't Be Bothered) Group is one of the planned remainer projects which is certainly, in my opinion, going to sway any election, or referendum, their way.

As we go into this critical couple of weeks, I meet no-one who thinks that we have any shred of Democracy.

Even a recent declaration, by a EU leader, sneeringly, that we in the UK who think that the EU has no democracy should "look at ourselves".

I hope that those who have fought for the last three years keep trying - even if we have to kickstart Brexit in the new year.

Remember the old adage "Don't let the B......ds Grind you down"

(Swearing deliberate!)

Very well put.
Our votes aren’t worth shit, they only count if we vote the “right” way.
And we all know that the referendum would never have happened if Cameron had known he would lose. Amazing that someone with the best (well, most expensive!) education that money can buy, can be so out of touch with public opinion.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 09:07 AM

I think saying 'our votes don't count' is not a sensible or logical way to look at things, if 17.4 million people had said that we would never have had a chance to leave the EU at all.

I will vote for the things in which I believe regardless of the opinions or actions of others and would do so if I was the last voter left standing. It is a matter of principle.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 09:17 AM

Me too Meg, even if mine was the only vote as you say.. There is far to much use made of tactical voting these days. to my mind its a corruption of the voting system and should be restricted. It certainly undermines the "one man one vote sentiment of the accepted practice of voting.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 10:24 AM

Surely we all attempt to pay the minimum tax and it's up to the Country to decide what that is?
When there is no taxation parity between online companies using warehouses and those companies with traditional High Street retail premises which incur additional taxation those company and the high Street suffer from unfair competition

Additionally, and it’s not restricted to online companies, the use of various means such as undertaking the transaction sales made in this country in an office set up in another country or setting up internal franchises that effectively leaves no profit robs this country of tax revenue

You may think this to be a good thing but it ultimately results in lower services or higher personal taxation to fill the deficit

France has indicated it wants to impose a digital tech tax on the big social media companies and others to ensure they pay a fair rate of tax

Such is the money involved that Trump has threatened to respond with a substantial reciprocal action

The internal franchising to move money for tax purposes resulted in one of the major high street coffee chains paying less UK tax than than me one year
Patriot1967
East Anglia
Patriot1967 is male  Patriot1967 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I think saying 'our votes don't count' is not a sensible or logical way to look at things, if 17.4 million people had said that we would never have had a chance to leave the EU at all.

I will vote for the things in which I believe regardless of the opinions or actions of others and would do so if I was the last voter left standing. It is a matter of principle.

Yes, 17.4 million voted a particular way and were the majority. I was one of them, and will vote Leave again if we are ordered to. As every other referendum that the EU didn’t like, was made to.

But that is exactly my point; we voted a certain way, we were the majority, we won. And where are we at today? No further on, with no idea when or if we will leave.

So have our votes counted for anything?
If Remain do have there own way, and Brexit never happens, Democracy will be the big loser.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 04:16 PM

When there is no taxation parity between online companies using warehouses and those companies with traditional High Street retail premises which incur additional taxation those company and the high Street suffer from unfair competition

Additionally, and it’s not restricted to online companies, the use of various means such as undertaking the transaction sales made in this country in an office set up in another country or setting up internal franchises that effectively leaves no profit robs this country of tax revenue

You may think this to be a good thing but it ultimately results in lower services or higher personal taxation to fill the deficit

France has indicated it wants to impose a digital tech tax on the big social media companies and others to ensure they pay a fair rate of tax

Such is the money involved that Trump has threatened to respond with a substantial reciprocal action

The internal franchising to move money for tax purposes resulted in one of the major high street coffee chains paying less UK tax than than me one year

I take it you've never heard of Luxembourg and how many of these online companies pay tax there instead if in france or germany or Spain etc

Businesses need to adapt- Debenhams is a good example of what happens when they dont.

As far as these digital companies are concerned they are paying the tax that they are required to pay. They also employ people ... something you missed out from your post.

Page 7 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top