Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 11:52 PM

Re: Organ transplants

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's a thought, Art.
Who'd want our old bits and bobs.
Mups, lf someone had the choice of a young heart or an antique heart. I think they would snap up the young heart and suggest the antique one was taken to the Antiques Roadshow!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's a thought, Art.
Who'd want our old bits and bobs.
Good question. I am no expert for sure but I can say that some body parts and organs from older people are still totally suitable for transplant as long as they are healthy with no cell damage. Corneas for example.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 04:33 AM

Just another view on this. Has anyone had to deal with a person whose loved one has died suddenly which means, by law, there has to be an inquest? This, as many may know, involves an autopsy where the deceased person's body is basically dissected to ascertain the cause of death. Well I have witnessed a person in that situation. The emotional trauma a person can go through, just thinking about a loved one being treated in that way, is really awful to see. What they go through emotionally must for them be terrible, and after what is possibly already a very traumatic and emotional event of the very worst kind.

It must I believe, be similar if being asked to allow donation of a loved one's organs following their death. OK if the deceased has made their wishes as a potential organ donor known but what if they haven't? I know people who work in this area are specially trained but even so it must be awful for those being asked.

I have agreed to organ donation as I feel we are of no other use after death, if someone else can benefit in their lives then why not is how I see it.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Just another view on this. Has anyone had to deal with a person whose loved one has died suddenly which means, by law, there has to be an inquest? This, as many may know, involves an autopsy where the deceased person's body is basically dissected to ascertain the cause of death. Well I have witnessed a person in that situation. The emotional trauma a person can go through, just thinking about a loved one being treated in that way, is really awful to see. What they go through emotionally must for them be terrible, and after what is possibly already a very traumatic and emotional event of the very worst kind.

It must I believe, be similar if being asked to allow donation of a loved one's organs following their death. OK if the deceased has made their wishes as a potential organ donor known but what if they haven't? I know people who work in this area are specially trained but even so it must be awful for those being asked.

I have agreed to organ donation as I feel we are of no other use after death, if someone else can benefit in their lives then why not is how I see it.
Yes Baz I have worked with people in that situation. I will answer your question as succinctly as I can. Firstly, yes you are right. People go through very intense trauma, grief, anger, confusion: just about every emotion you can think of. Sudden death is not just traumatic for significant others but as you have alluded to it is also very complicated with many processes and people involved. In other words it's a bloody awful mess for everybody - and every body - involved. I guess the main thing here to say is the difference between those two examples you mentioned is control. With coronial cases i.e. where police and medical examiners are involved - Such as cases of murder, suicide, industrial or road accident etc - the matter is out of the hands of the family to an extent at least while the coronial case is sub-judice. This is not to mean that they don't have support but they do not have total decision making power as to what happens to the body of their loved one and how long it is to remain the "property" of the coroner..which it legally is. In the other case the family has more control. And control is a very important thing when it comes to how intense any trauma is and how long it lasts.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 08:38 AM

I've signed up for organ donation . I would like to hope that if I died and I was able to help another family to a better life I might have done some good .

I think it should always be a choice .

If people dont want to offer their organs then they wont be given one in an emergency situation that's sounds fair
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
On another thread it's been stated that there's too many people in the world and reducing the population may go some way to alleviating the world's problems.

Perhaps we should stop organ donation altogether and let nature take its course?
An easier and far more productive method would be to reduce childbirth. It worked for the Chinese anyway.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
At the age many of us are now, would our organs be of a suitable quality?
Good question. I suppose it depends on how well we have looked after ourselves.

Certainly, someone in dire need would benefit and, if the 'aged' organ begins to fail, they could replace it with a younger one when it becomes available.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-09-2019, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Mups, lf someone had the choice of a young heart or an antique heart. I think they would snap up the young heart and suggest the antique one was taken to the Antiques Roadshow!
Oi! I'm 68 and had an ECG recently which showed that my heart is perfectly sound. In fact, I have always been big-hearted.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-09-2019, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I've signed up for organ donation . I would like to hope that if I died and I was able to help another family to a better life I might have done some good .

I think it should always be a choice .

If people dont want to offer their organs then they wont be given one in an emergency situation that's sounds fair
Perfectly fair.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 10:14 AM

The one thing that is ours is our body.

If people want to donate body after they've died then that's up to them but there is absolutely no way that any part of their body should be taken without the explicit permission and full agreement of their next of kin.

To preclude those who do not express a wish to donate from being offered a replacement organ would be more than unethical.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top