Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 06:57 PM

Re: Heart burn

I’m ok now thank you everyone for your suggestions .
I have never had it that badly before .
I will stock up on anti acid tablets at the very least .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

Might be an idea, just incase it returns, Muddy.
Glad you feel better now though.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
We always have Gaviscon liquid in the cupboard - the pink bottle, expensive at around £8.50 per bottle but it does the trick. The downside is, it makes you snore (well it does me anyway)
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 02:09 PM

Ive never had heartburn nor indigestion nor do I get acid reflux and no I won't tell you how old I am but have to disagree that most older people suffer . ( re " The reason we get more heartburn as we age is because the sphincter muscle at the bottom of the oesophagus gets weaker allowing stomach acid to escape up your gullet.

As for general indigestion.....your stomach is getting older and the lining's wearing out a bit" )

It depends on what you eat I suppose .
I never eat curries nor anything fatty ,fried or spicy, don't drink alcohol .
My Oatie bread's made at the local bakery .
Am I just lucky or is my diet better than yours ?

On the subject of breads one of my friends has trouble digesting these , relies on Gaviscon .
I'm suspicious of coffee tho .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 06:49 PM

About two years ago l suffered with heartburn, indigestion, bloating and acid reflux. It just came on one day and went on for weeks.
I
I went to the doctors and was prescribed Omeprazole, a PPI and Peptac. I don’t like taking any medication but took one Omeprazole.

I then read Azz’s very informative thread... ‘Have you taken any acid suppression medicines?’.....l was so glad l did. PPI’s are dreadful things that are hard to come off and can cause other problems.

In the thread many were praising the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar with mother. I bought some and it was marvellous. The symptoms went away. I did have a scan at the time and that showed l had impacted Gallstones which l had removed.

I agree with Realist, it is best to find out what is causing the heartburn. My neighbour didn’t and he died a week later of a heart attack, he was only 42.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 10:48 PM

I'm glad the apple cider vinegar worked for you Art. It makes me think I should try it. I do have some in the cupboard which is gluten free which I bought a while back thinking of a health revolution but haven't yet opened! I have met people who totally swear by it. It can turn lives around health-wise from what I've heard. Do you still use it?

You're very wise to have had the gallstones removed. They can lead to pancreatitis which is super serious. Happened to a friend of mine and he ended up in hospital for three months.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2019, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'm glad the apple cider vinegar worked for you Art. It makes me think I should try it. I do have some in the cupboard which is gluten free which I bought a while back thinking of a health revolution but haven't yet opened! I have met people who totally swear by it. It can turn lives around health-wise from what I've heard. Do you still use it?

You're very wise to have had the gallstones removed. They can lead to pancreatitis which is super serious. Happened to a friend of mine and he ended up in hospital for three months.

You can add a spoonful of honey to it too, Annie.
It not only makes it more palatable, but also is an added benefit.

I used to drink it regularly, but always rinsed my mouth afterwards as I read the acid in the vinegar can eventually damage tooth enamel otherwise.

There is a good book about this, written by a lady called Margaret Hills, a nurse. She was in a wheelchair because of her severe arthritis, but managed to walk again after drinking the vinegar and honey.

There is more to it than just drinking vinegar though.
Diet is involved, and the correct vitamins and other things like certain exercises.

She opened a clinic in Nottingham to help Arthritis sufferers and part of the treatment was using Apple Cider Vinegar - (some makes are better than others).
After this lady died, her daughter continued to run the clinic which to my knowledge is still there today.

I have got two or three of her books, and they interesting and also easy to understand, not too scientific or technical.

Here is a link for anyone interested:

https://www.margarethillsclinic.com/...lications.html
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2019, 02:14 AM

Mups did you feel different for it? Or were you already super-healthy at the time so it just gave you a bit of extra zing?

I hadn't really considered the risk of dental decay but I guess that is a big down side. Can't you just use it as a salad dressing?

I don't seem to be suffering from reflux recently and it's funny how it comes and goes. I stopped taking any medication for it a while back. I was on ranitidine which was also recommended on the Azz thread Art mentioned. That helped me get off omeprazole. Azz's thread seems to have helped a few here!

thanks for mentioning Margaret Hills by the way - just looking at the site which is very interesting reading
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2019, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

Annie, At the time, it was like a miracle as all my symptoms disappeared after taking it for a short time.
I took it twice a day and always took it in a tumbler of water and cleaned my teeth after, as l was worried it would affect the enamel on my teeth.
When my symptoms were gone, l stopped taking it. I still have the ACV in my cupboard, it’s still in date but because l opened it two years ago, l daren’t take it!

It is Bragg, Organic, raw unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother. Unpasteurised.
Would anyone know if it’s still safe to drink so long after opening it?

Is the ACV you’ve got ‘with the mother’ as l understand it is more beneficial?

I bet if l hadn’t read Azz’s thread, l might still be taking Omeprazole. They are killers.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2019, 11:46 AM

hows the heartburn Muddy?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top