Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 02:19 PM

Re: Is quiet rest as good as sleep?

I get off to sleep quite easily. (unless I've had a nap in the evening) Just can't understand why I wake up 4 or 5 hours later for no reason! .. It would be good if I could turn over & go back to sleep but I can't.

I will give meditation a go...
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 03:18 PM

I have a nod during the day in my recliner and go to bed 2300 get up 0630 and take the dog out
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Keezoy could you tell us how you meditate and what to do and not do .

I do sit quietly in bed at night and just try to be but I fall asleep so it's not really proper meditation is it
I use a system call the Benson Autogenic Relaxation Technique. Sounds complicated. It isn't. It' dead easy. The only thing is the word "meditation"..I think..is copyrighted by the transcendental meditation people so I don't use it if I'm passing the script to somebody. I just call it a relaxation exercise. IT's a one page document which is easy to follow. I can send a message with an attachment but I'm not sure if it will work. I'll give it a go Susan.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 11:14 PM

I was reading about that method Keezoy and the article I found said that if you relax your tongue then thoughts will cease. I have never heard that before but will have to give it a try!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 11:18 PM

I just found an article about relaxing the tongue :

https://wellingtonlifecoaching.co.nz...x-your-tongue/

It's funny but I bet we don't even realise how tense our tongues get. According to this article it's a bridge between the voluntary and involuntary nervous systems.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I was reading about that method Keezoy and the article I found said that if you relax your tongue then thoughts will cease. I have never heard that before but will have to give it a try!
Sure Annie. Relaxing any part of your body can never hurt. I sometimes do the tense/ relax one where you lay on the floor and start from your toes. Tense the muscles for 3 or 4 seconds then let them go as loose and relaxed as you can. Then work your way up very gradually addressing lower legs, upper legs, pelvis, abdomen etc all the way up to your face and head. Spend a few days on this once a day and it really works well.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

04-11-2019, 12:35 AM

A teacher taught us that method during PE when we were about 9 or 10. It was quite progressive at the time.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 08:46 AM

I think as we get older we don't need as much sleep...i've never needed more than about 5 or 6 hours a night anyway .
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the tips on tongue relaxation & meditation. I shall definitely be trying that if I wake up early again.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top