Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 01:07 PM

Essential Device?

Many years ago a timing strobe, Dwell meter, feeler gauges and an hydrometer were essential items for home car maintenance I am starting to think that one of these devices is, likewise, a good investment.

When that warning light comes on in your dash then unless you have something similar to this OBDII Car Diagnostic Analyser then you need to visit a workshop to analyse it and believe what they tell you is wrong. It can also reset warnings if that is all that is needed as well as read in real time any problems.

In Australia you can get them for about $390 (£185) so I am considering buying one, "just in case". I like the idea that it can work for many makes of vehicles.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/iCarsoft...8AAOSwJV9dfN0Y

I know you can get apps for your phone and cheap devices to plug in your car but these look a bit more professional and, I believe, give you far more information.

Has anybody had any experience with them? or something like them?
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 01:47 PM

Re: Essential Device?

Over here, if we need to use one, we can go to an auto parts supply store and they will let you use theirs. It negates the need for me to buy one. As far as warning lights, when they become annoying, I put a piece of black tape over the light and problem is solved.

My truck has air pressure warning lights, the sending units in the tires have been dead for several years. It cost $200.00 each to have them replaced, so I just check my air pressure and ignore the alarm.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
Over here, if we need to use one, we can go to an auto parts supply store and they will let you use theirs. It negates the need for me to buy one. As far as warning lights, when they become annoying, I put a piece of black tape over the light and problem is solved.

My truck has air pressure warning lights, the sending units in the tires have been dead for several years. It cost $200.00 each to have them replaced, so I just check my air pressure and ignore the alarm.
A bit different over here in Blighty. Non-working tyre pressure lights are classed as an MOT failure.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 03:12 PM

Can't help but feel there might be warranty issues associated with "personal tinkering" of the cars computer system.

Depends what that device does. If it is simply a "Read Only" device ten no problems but if it lets you change settings or reconfigure things then I would think there are potential issues that could void your warranty.
rcs60h
Bedfordshire, UK
rcs60h is male  rcs60h has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 06:24 PM

In fact any warning light and now also the engine management light are all counted as failures and although most mot stations will remove them air fresheners hanging from your rear view mirror is also a failure.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by rcs60h ->
In fact any warning light and now also the engine management light are all counted as failures and although most mot stations will remove them air fresheners hanging from your rear view mirror is also a failure.
Bizarre isn't it. My previous car would have failed because the rubber had come off the brake pedal, so he took the one from the clutch pedal and it passed.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 07:44 PM

Of course it is yet another con from the car dealers charging so much to switch off a light. A device capable of doing this sounds like a good idea to me Bruce. You might even be able to hire yourself out for a fee.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->

You sound like my type of bloke Savvy!
But dont get the wrong idea?
Most of these essential items are totally un-neccassary unless
You own a maseratti with all the bullshit extras?
I admire your spirit!
Donkeyman!
Steviec
New Member!
Suffolk
Steviec is male 

11-11-2019, 08:59 PM

Hi ,I live in Suffolk ,bought a similar one online for about £30 ,it works .Obviously turning off a warning light isn't going to solve a problem ,but for annoying light syndrome especially when your driving in the dark ,its kinda handy .
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 09:03 PM

My local man who looks after my car for about 1/10th the price a Merc dealer would charge, plugs in a laptop. Says it works on all models but the plugs are not cheap.

I'm probably out of date with the technology, but ... Bruce ...

you may find you have to pay extra to get it connected.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top