Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 10:42 PM

Traits

Traits, have you fought against them, is it a battle that can be won?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 11:03 PM

Re: Traits

No, I don't fight them, they are part of who I am.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 11:32 PM

What a great question. Opens up a large list of things to talk about. If you mean Character traits, which is the usual application for the term, I think it's really important to distinguish between the actual trait and the behaviour that it produces. As Tiffany says a trait is part of who you are. A part of your character i.e. the "kind" of person you are. Which in turn shouldn't be confused with personality. Like you can have a person with a quiet, retiring personality that has a strong character : one who we might term a "good" and "moral" person in the context of their particular culture. One who abides by the law, is considerate to his/ her fellow human beings and does their "duty" or pulls their weight whatever it may be. Or you can have a person with a loud and gregarious personality who has the same character. I don't believe one can change their personality or their character at will although I believe personalities can change with illness, brain injury or some kind of genuine and deep religious epiphany. Which I think is very rare. I think it is futile to try to "fight" character or personality traits. But it is totally possible to change one's behaviour. Which after all is the only part of you that the rest of the world sees. "Personality" and "Character are abstract constructs that are internal. It's only behaviour that is external. So you can't change the trait but you can change it's resulting behaviour: with professional help. This, as always is not meant to be an authoritative statement. Just my opinion based on my professional experience. Many may disagree and I welcome that. And have I tried to fight them?..Of course I have. I think many of us do.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 11:52 PM

Keezoy - I just love your posts!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Are they related to Trolls, Spitty, if so - I would win every time!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

22-10-2019, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
No, I don't fight them, they are part of who I am.
I agree with that, Tiffany.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2019, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Keezoy - I just love your posts!
Well thanks once again S.T. THat's really nice of you to say. I hope I don't come across as a "know it all" when I respond to questions about human behaviour and psychology. It's just that I worked in the field for so long and I am always happy to share whatever I have learned. I'm sure I'm not always right and if I wasn't prepared for people to disagree or challenge what I say then I wouldn't be here. At the end of the day everybody is unique and there are no hard fast rules to anything when it comes to the complicated and endlessly fascinating human species. But in any event I'm just happy you find the posts useful.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2019, 06:24 AM

Can you fight other folks traits?
keezoy
Australia

23-10-2019, 07:49 AM

Can you fight other folks traits?
How do you mean "fight" ? Do you mean can you change other people's traits?..If so I would say no. You can only chose to react or not react to the behaviour of people around you. As I said. It is not against the law for one to have a cruel or dishonest nature. But hurting other people physically or stealing from them is.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2019, 08:17 AM

Shyness can come from a genetic trait..it can also be a personality trait.

Is it a battle that can be won....most definitely .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top