Join for free
Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Flowerpower
Senior Member
Flowerpower is offline
East Anglia, UK
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 628
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
25-05-2018, 10:00 AM
1

Holiday Insurance - watch out!

Went to renew my annual holiday insurance and I never realised but they will not cover you if you have a hospital consultation in the pipeline. I tried three firms (including Saga). Mine was just a dermatology appointment but they said that didnt matter and wouldnt cover me.

I know you have to declare all illnesses, all medications and so on but now they ask about forthcoming hospital appoinments.
Reply With Quote
Val J's Avatar
Val J
Senior Member
Val J is offline
East Yorkshire
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,095
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
27-05-2018, 10:46 AM
2

Re: Holiday Insurance - watch out!

We weren’t going to renew our passports when they ran out last year because of my illness, but we decided we could maybe manage a trip over to France to see hubby’s twin brother and his wife. Next job, travel insurance, so keyed in all our details to one of the comparison sites. What a shock when the results came through, out of three quotes, the cheapest was £933 for 10 days holiday in France!!

Much as we would love to go we are not prepared to pay almost £1000 for insurance and are wondering whether to risk just relying on the EHIC card. Wondered what others think.
Reply With Quote
susan m's Avatar
susan m
Senior Member
susan m is offline
DORSET UK
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,528
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
27-05-2018, 10:50 AM
3

Re: Holiday Insurance - watch out!

That's a huge amount of money and I can understand how you feel , but there always comes the thought "what if" . I'm not sure how much cover the ehic card will give you . It's a big dilemma for you .
Reply With Quote
realspeed
Chatterbox
realspeed is online now
east sussex
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 9,586
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
27-05-2018, 10:59 AM
4

Re: Holiday Insurance - watch out!

https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Health...-the-ehic.aspx

the EHIC card should cover you if you read the link above but do advise travel insurance as well
Reply With Quote
Mel15
Senior Member
Mel15 is offline
Nowhere
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,269
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
27-05-2018, 11:06 AM
5

Re: Holiday Insurance - watch out!

Val, have a good read here

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/in...avel-insurance


If you scroll down you will find the specialist insurance companies that aren't on comparison sites. It may be worth looking through those. Also there's a link there for the EHIC plus card
Reply With Quote
Flowerpower
Senior Member
Flowerpower is offline
East Anglia, UK
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 628
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
27-05-2018, 11:41 AM
6

Re: Holiday Insurance - watch out!

Originally Posted by Val J ->
We weren’t going to renew our passports when they ran out last year because of my illness, but we decided we could maybe manage a trip over to France to see hubby’s twin brother and his wife. Next job, travel insurance, so keyed in all our details to one of the comparison sites. What a shock when the results came through, out of three quotes, the cheapest was £933 for 10 days holiday in France!!

Much as we would love to go we are not prepared to pay almost £1000 for insurance and are wondering whether to risk just relying on the EHIC card. Wondered what others think.
Val I started a thread the other day about Travel Insurance and I wonder if these could be merged.
Reply With Quote
AnnieS's Avatar
AnnieS
Chatterbox
AnnieS is offline
United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 11,899
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
27-05-2018, 12:16 PM
7

Re: Holiday Insurance - watch out!

The EHiC card covers any serious conditions in the same way that you'd be covered if you lived in that country. So there may be some charges depending on the country. In some places they still take your credit card details even though you have EHIC. That's what happened to SiL's mum in France.

But you should still take out travel insurance excluding the medical conditions for possessions etc.
Reply With Quote
Val J's Avatar
Val J
Senior Member
Val J is offline
East Yorkshire
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,095
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
27-05-2018, 05:31 PM
8

Re: Holiday Insurance - watch out!

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
Went to renew my annual holiday insurance and I never realised but they will not cover you if you have a hospital consultation in the pipeline. I tried three firms (including Saga). Mine was just a dermatology appointment but they said that didnt matter and wouldnt cover me.

I know you have to declare all illnesses, all medications and so on but now they ask about forthcoming hospital appoinments.
I did get three quotes from the price comparison site, Moneysupermarket.com, but the cheapest was £933! So they will cover you, but at a price!
Reply With Quote
Val J's Avatar
Val J
Senior Member
Val J is offline
East Yorkshire
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,095
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
27-05-2018, 05:34 PM
9

Re: Holiday Insurance - watch out!

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Health...-the-ehic.aspx

the EHIC card should cover you if you read the link above but do advise travel insurance as well
Thank you for the link Realspeed, will consider whether it’s worth the risk.
Reply With Quote
Val J's Avatar
Val J
Senior Member
Val J is offline
East Yorkshire
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,095
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
27-05-2018, 05:41 PM
10

Re: Holiday Insurance - watch out!

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Val, have a good read here

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/in...avel-insurance


If you scroll down you will find the specialist insurance companies that aren't on comparison sites. It may be worth looking through those. Also there's a link there for the EHIC plus card
Interesting thanks Missy, will try the companies mentioned! The quote I had was for up to 10 million pounds, ridiculous!
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.