Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
East Yorkshire
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 09:30 PM

A healthy body makes a healthy mind

Do you believe in this philosophy?

Looking back, do you think you could have changed your ideas towards looking or feeling good or otherwise being more intelligent in life? In other words, did you accomplish your goals within the scope of physical fitness or did you find that being of reasonable intelligence was enough to get you through?

Being happy with your general fitness obviously improves your wellbeing to the extent that a healthy mind is therefore created.

In my particular case, I have worked hard to maintain a healthy physique because that enables me to sustain my fitness. Building muscle helps retain the joints, ligaments and bones. If those areas are kept in good condition than we are less prone to developing injuries when we are older.
In turn, that makes us happier and free to enjoy a healthy lifestyle, i.e our general happiness is retained and we can function without too much fear of becoming dependant on others.

There are people who look at those who exercise (perhaps too much in their eyes) as freaks of nature. True, some take it to the extreme but most people, like myself, do it to keep in optimum health and are certainly not vain or boastful. Those who say we are just proves their ignorance of the subject.

Those who shun physical exercise are basically ignorant and have little self-respect. They do not forward-think. There are very ignorant people around who do not understand physical fitness. You do not need to go too far as, for instance, some bodybuilders go to get themselves fit. You just need the willpower and determination to look after yourself. We only have one life and having a bad diet such as endless starchy bread will kill us all off very quickly indeed! The best way to postpone the ageing process is to eat healthily and exercise regularly. Any idiot knows that and it doesn't take any kind of know-it-all, misguided, internet-bashing egghead to drum it down our throats lol! And there's certainly no vanity attached to wanting to improve our own lifestyles is there?!

Are you the sort who relishes a long life and have strived to maintain your years through regular exercise or have you succumbed to laziness, therefore hoping for the best?
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 10:14 PM

Re: A healthy body makes a healthy mind

The feeling of well-being and content after I finish my weight-training in the gym makes everything seem better, even if I am feeling a bit gloomy. Additionally, I know my muscles aren't wasting away, my bone density is fine, my heart is stronger than it was, I don't get out of breath and with more work on my legs I will be walking along the local beaches and hills again.

I'd far rather be doing my exercises than being idle all day and having the reverse of all the above gradually happening. If some people want to do that, it's up to them I suppose, but I'll never understand it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2019, 04:53 AM

Stephen Hawking's mind seemed to work OK and his body was rubbish.
pauline3
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2019, 07:46 AM

There was a time in my life,when I was big,it really did affect my confidence,and I felt depressed,I have been working out for yrs now,I have never felt better,I go jogging,I take it slow though,as I'm still recovering from heart operation ,even the medical staff at the hospital noticed my physical fitness,..I love to look slim,and I can wear short waisted jackets/cardigans,leggings,tight jeans,maybe I am vein,or even vane?..I don't care what others think,I get some funny looks when I'm out jogging,I even had a couple of guys say,..when I was jogging up a hill,"come on love you can do it"cheeky beggars,nothing puts me off jogging,..I don't believe you have to go to a gym though,I have my own exercise machines,and have maintained my weight for yrs,.i can squat for ages,..I am sorry,but if more people exercised,there would be less strain on the NHS,..that's if they can of course....
pauline3
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2019, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
. They should get a kick up the ass and make an effort instead of baking fattening bread. LOL!!

Excuse me!...I bake bread!....
Tachyon
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2019, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I don't believe you have to go to a gym though....
Definitely, although Floydy and I are speaking of gyms because that's how we keep our fitness up. I'd love to jog, even slowly, but my legs were affected by an illness that I'm still trying to get over.

I was big myself for many years, too, and it makes a heck of a difference with the weight off, doesn't it. Exercise can take many forms, too. Jog, walk the dog, swim, lift weights, Zumba, anything at all really - as long as it makes you feel better . As you point out, the NHS needs less strain on it too.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2019, 08:12 AM

Floydy , i do think a toned body on a man is very attractive . I know a chap who was a fitness fanatic , he loved running , he would run 14 miles a day to and from work , at the age of 50 he had to have two new hips .

My friend Sue loved tennis and fast walking , shes just had two new knees , shes 64.

I wondsr if sometimes too much excercise breaks down the joints .

Your thoughts on this ?
pauline3
Hampshire UK

31-03-2019, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Definitely, although Floydy and I are speaking of gyms because that's how we keep our fitness up. I'd love to jog, even slowly, but my legs were affected by an illness that I'm still trying to get over.

I was big myself for many years, too, and it makes a heck of a difference with the weight off, doesn't it. Exercise can take many forms, too. Jog, walk the dog, swim, lift weights, Zumba, anything at all really - as long as it makes you feel better . As you point out, the NHS needs less strain on it too.

Are you a weight lifter?..I used to use the gym a lot,to be honest I am thinking about joining again,I miss the social interaction with members,...plus I so miss the "treadmill" I loved that machine,better on the joints as well.
Tachyon

31-03-2019, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Are you a weight lifter?..I used to use the gym a lot,to be honest I am thinking about joining again,I miss the social interaction with members,...plus I so miss the "treadmill" I loved that machine,better on the joints as well.
Nominally a weight lifter, really. As I mentioned in another post, I was pretty ill for a couple of years and couldn't train at all, so I am getting back in the saddle. I don't do bad, all things considered, going 2 or 3 times a week and the computerised gym machines say my lifestyle is "active". On most machines I do around 40Kg with +/- 10Kg on the others. My legs are still poor though, and my arms and chest exercises shift more weight than my legs do. A work in progress, eh!

The social interaction was great in the local Age UK gym and a lot of chatting went on. The gym I am in now (I sort of upgraded to heavier machines) is friendly but more of a 'nod and a smile' kind of friendly. People take their training quite seriously and most train with earbuds in listening to music, so not much chatting.

Which reminds, me, I better get ready to head there now!! See you and everyone else later.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2019, 10:33 AM

I know a lot of disabled people with lovely minds their bodies have given up on them but their minds are firing on all cylinders. I know a few with healthy bodies who really could take a lesson or two from the disabled ones in caring and being nice.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top