Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 04:42 AM

Tragic Accident

I.ve just read the news in a local local paper of a young girl who was knocked down and killed by someone who had a faint at the wheel of the car

It must be devastating for the parents that there has been no prosecution as they want justice for what happened to their little girl.

I m seeing it from both sides as there is medical evidence that this was a tragic accident because of the faint and control was lost so a tragic accident occurred, but, putting myself in the place of these poor parents, I too would be so angry that no one had been held accountable and I think I would fight to my last breath for s prosecution.

What is your view on this, do you think the driver should be prosecuted?

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/...-open-16649198
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 05:11 AM

Re: Tragic Accident

What a sad story and for this girl to lose what should have been a wonderful future and her family to have her torn from their lives.

There's not enough detail of the situation to be able to look at the legal status of the driver but if someone has an underlying health condition they are obliged to declare it to the DVLA. There's a long list on the DVLA site.

If the driver had a condition but was not aware of it until the accident or had not had it diagnosed then the legal case against the driver is weak.

So in theory someone who does not go to the doctor when they have symptoms could legally get away with something like this because they have no official diagnosis. A court would have to prove they knew. But if someone doesn't know there's a problem that could affect their driving then it is tragic but hard to blame them.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 06:26 AM

These kind of events and the associated legal and personal issues are indeed tragic. On one side of the coin, losing a child is arguably the worse thing that can happen to anybody. Not only does it cause great sorrow and grief. It also causes great anger. And that is the case even with disease or accident where there is no other person(s) who can be held accountable. Let alone accidents, fights, drugs and a hundred other things where there is somebody..anybody who can be blamed..negligent friends, doctors who didn't work hard enough to save them, police who aren't working hard enough to catch the perps etc. And indeed often there IS somebody to blame and they should be punished or held responsible of course. Justice needs to be seen to be done. If somebody is driving who shouldn't be for any reason and they know it, then they are responsible and have to face the consequences. But grieving people have to be treated very carefully and sensitively by professionals who know what they are doing. They need to express their anger. And they also need to be watched carefully , with understanding, to ensure that they don't take their anger out on people who are just trying to help or not responsible for their loss. The other side of the coin is sometimes people are innocent. There is no diagnosed condition, there is no obvious negligence or anything else. Things just happen. The law needs to protect everybody and it is not right that an innocent person should be prosecuted and turned into a criminal if they have not broken the law. Sometimes, sadly, a tragedy is just a tragedy.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 06:36 AM

Hi

these things happen.

If the driver had no previous issues, then they are as much a victim as the child.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
hi

these things happen.

If the driver had no previous issues, then they are as much a victim as the child.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 07:49 AM

Yes I think the person should be accountable for the death of the girl. If the driver was feeling faint she should have pulled over to the side.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Yes I think the person should be accountable for the death of the girl. If the driver was feeling faint she should have pulled over to the side.
Normally I would agree with you - but - it could have happened very suddenly and without warning, especially in this heat.

Don't suppose we will ever have all the facts.

It was a horrible thing to happen.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 08:40 AM

Unless medical evidence proves otherwise, let's not jump to hasty conclusions about the driver. I bet they're going through some incredible emotions right now about the incident. As ST rightly said, who knows when they are going to faint and can take evasive action?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 08:57 AM

Whatever happens that driver will feel guilty for the rest of their lives, that would be a sentence of some kind.
I remember an accident outside a shopping centre where an elderly driver died at the wheel and killed someone waiting on a bus stop. Sadly, these accidents happen. Loved ones will need someone to blame in order to make sense of it.
Some kind of punishment may help the driver to feel slightly less awful.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2019, 09:19 AM

Hi

I was fully functioning, in a very difficult job, when I had my Heart Attack.

Days before I had passed my annual medical, which included an ECG, and my annual High Speed Driving Refresher Test.

The EGC was done under stress, hard exercise.

My heart attack was sudden, no previous warnings and it paralysed me, I could not move.

I am very grateful that it did not happen when I was driving as I could easily have killed someone.

I simply do not agree with this blame culture.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top