Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 05:48 AM

Re: Would You Use Garlic Grown In China?

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Exactly, Foxy. If it is something that can be produced in the UK or - even better, Yorkshire - then I will not buy imported versions. Time there was another 'I'm backing Britain' campaign!
I quite agree with you there. We don't need to wait for a campaign though, we can all do our bit whenever possible. The other day I saw raspberries in Tesco from Portugal, they didn't look all that fresh, like a lot of their produce lately, and the price I thought was a bit much so no purchase there. A day later at Aldi there were raspberries grown the UK, they looked nice and fresh, were considerably cheaper than Tesco – they tasted delicious.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You've got to ask yourself Why are we shipping foodstuffs half way around the world when we can grow our own.....Madness....

You did right not to buy it Arty, but maybe for the wrong reasons...
I'd like to know how you work that one out. There is no way in the world Britain could feed itself, it hasn't been able to since before WWII when the population was much smaller.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 08:56 AM

I don't care where garlic comes from, I won't eat it.
I can't stand talking to someone who has had garlic for their evening meal. Why don't they use mouthwash or eat mints afterwards? I don't want to smell their bad breath! It's as bad as standing next to someone who has b.o. Disgusting.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I'd like to know how you work that one out. There is no way in the world Britain could feed itself, it hasn't been able to since before WWII when the population was much smaller.
That's balls Bruce!
We can't feed ourselves because we have opted to pay cheaper prices for foreign stuff, food included, to the demise of agriculture and industry. We can't feed ourselves now because we are no longer equipped to do so.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Exactly. It’s best to choose local produce. It’s fresher, it’s better quality and it supports the area where you live.
Agree with that comment wherever you happen to be in the world.
Food regulations should be considered and respected.
Bleached garlic is NOT a healthy substitute. Bleach makes the garlic appear healthier while killing fungus and bacteria so the garlic stays fresher, longer. It may very well preserve the garlic but is definitely NOT healthy for human consumption.

The garlic is not bleached any more than water supplies are bleached. Chlorine just happens to be very lethal to a range of bugs and bacteria and leaves very little residue. Better that lettuce etc is rinsed in chlorinated water than carries the potentially lethal bacteria derived from bird droppings.
And if you don't believe me you'd better stop using salt ( a combination of a poisonous gas and a reactive metal) even though salt in moderation is essential to well being.
https://waterandhealth.org/disinfect...food-products/
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
That's balls Bruce!
We can't feed ourselves because we have opted to pay cheaper prices for foreign stuff, food included, to the demise of agriculture and industry. We can't feed ourselves now because we are no longer equipped to do so.
Absolute crap.

It takes about 1.2 acres (0.5 hectare) to feed a person for a year using modern farming methods, Britain has about 40 million acres of productive farm land and a population of 65 million.

Do the maths! Anything else is wishful thinking.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 08:54 AM

Doesn't matter how much farmland we've got I still won't eat garlic, Chinese or UK-grown.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Absolute crap.

It takes about 1.2 acres (0.5 hectare) to feed a person for a year using modern farming methods, Britain has about 40 million acres of productive farm land and a population of 65 million.

Do the maths! Anything else is wishful thinking.
There's the answer then – 25 million (or more) of us should move to Australia, that would solve both the practical and the maths problems!

Alternatively, and this was found while searching for information on how much land needed to feed a person, is the information on the link below, it is food for thought (excuse the pun, it's deliberate):

https://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/h...-self-reliant/
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

23-09-2019, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
There's the answer then – 25 million (or more) of us should move to Australia, that would solve both the practical and the maths problems!
Britain has already tried that a couple of centuries ago and look at the pickle you're in now, gawd knows what mess you'd end up in if you tried it twice.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Doesn't matter how much farmland we've got I still won't eat garlic, Chinese or UK-grown.

Eat some garlic Floydy it’s good for you
Keeps the vampires away too!

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top