Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 01:35 PM

Npower shed 4.500 Jobs...

So npower are to shed four and a half thousand jobs, it doesn't surprise me. Their website was atrocious, I used to obtain my electricity from Yorkshire Electricity (we do things proper) until it changed to npower. I started to use their website when it first came out and it was either broken down or making mistakes on my bill. The British Gas (where I obtained my gas) website was brilliant so I changed to them and not a problem since. I might pay a few quid more for my energy, but it's just nice to be billed correctly.

I don't use British gas engineers to install and service my boiler because they are a bunch of neanderthals though, and my present bloke lives just round the corner....

Anyway, apparently npower have been taken over by Eon...A German company who intend to use their own computers to run both companies so all our lads are surplus to requirement.
If it hasn't got 'British' in the title they can 'Do One'....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 01:38 PM

Re: Npower shed 4.500 Jobs...

I don't know which jobs are going exactly but I bet there will be a lot of meter readers out on their ears since the introduction of the smart meters. We have been with Eon for about ten years and have not had any problems.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 03:28 PM

It's a terrible thing to happen to families right before Christmas. One of NPower's three main depots is in Hull and I know quite a few people who work there. NPower took over a lot a the country's electricity outlets, ours was formerly YEB - Yorkshire Electricity Board (as OGF mentions above).

Their huge building actually backs onto my gym and there's always a lot going on in their transport yard. I feel so sorry for everyone who is about to become unemployed here and at the other branches.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 10:05 PM

I don't think Corbyn's threat to re-nationalise the industry would have helped either.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 10:16 PM

Competition in the Energy industry is not working, neither is allowing British businesses to be sold to foreign companies.
The only thing that big multinational companies care about is profit, and are beholding to no one. Workers are just numbers on a spreadsheet and most of these companies don't even pay their due taxes....No wonder the family run businesses are being run out of town. These large companies control our government, exactly why we will never be free of the EU.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2019, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Competition in the Energy industry is not working, neither is allowing British businesses to be sold to foreign companies.
The only thing that big multinational companies care about is profit, and are beholding to no one. Workers are just numbers on a spreadsheet and most of these companies don't even pay their due taxes....No wonder the family run businesses are being run out of town. These large companies control our government, exactly why we will never be free of the EU.
Correct me if l am wrong OGF, but the way l understand it these
new power companies dont have much to do with technical side
of the power supply, but simply admiminister the running of the
existing infrastructure,concentrating on the issueing and collection
bills etc. Is this true?l believe this is the situation with our railways
well?
Regards Donkeyman!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

30-11-2019, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Correct me if l am wrong OGF, but the way l understand it these
new power companies dont have much to do with technical side
of the power supply, but simply admiminister the running of the
existing infrastructure,concentrating on the issueing and collection
bills etc. Is this true?l believe this is the situation with our railways
well?
Regards Donkeyman!
You are quite right Donkeyman, just extra layers of admin all trying to sell the same thing a few bob cheaper. Why doesn't British gas take it all over and calculate the same average price for everyone. For years and years the price of things (including energy) remained the same, and now we have to shop around wasting time to find the company that will sell stuff a bit cheaper than anyone else, and then next month it's all change and we have to do it all over again. It's all bollox if you ask me.....
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2019, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I don't think Corbyn's threat to re-nationalise the industry would have helped either.
No Judd, but it could claim a quite a few undecided Labour voters to vote for Compo and his ''Nationalise all the Utility Companies'' when they see 4,500 of our workers are being made redundant.

What a harrowing prospect for those poor workers with Christmas coming up, knowing their jobs are on the line.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2019, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You are quite right Donkeyman, just extra layers of admin all trying to sell the same thing a few bob cheaper. Why doesn't British gas take it all over and calculate the same average price for everyone. For years and years the price of things (including energy) remained the same, and now we have to shop around wasting time to find the company that will sell stuff a bit cheaper than anyone else, and then next month it's all change and we have to do it all over again. It's all bollox if you ask me.....
It's called market competition. A free competitive market always drives prices down. The alternative is a monopoly market which always drives prices up because it targets around the 90th percentile of the market.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

02-12-2019, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It's called market competition. A free competitive market always drives prices down. The alternative is a monopoly market which always drives prices up because it targets around the 90th percentile of the market.
Well why is it Artful that I'm paying ten times the price for my energy that I did when it was nationalised, and most of it now comes free at point of generation.....Solar Panels, Wind Turbines and loads of other ingenious methods of creating summat from nowt'.. My time is precious, I don't want to be stuck on my computer every day finding the cheapest supplier of:- Energy, Internet Provider, Mobile Phone, House & car insurance, bank etc......It's definitely not going to plan is it? I think instead of giving money to the government, we've ended up lining the pockets of a load of shareholders, probably foreign at that!......I still think it's all Bollox!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top