Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 03:34 PM

Re: Check out recent Hacker Scam

None found .....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
None found .....
Omah!

Good - I suggest a retry occasionally, until the AV companies catch up,

Apparently Microsoft has updated Windows Defender already to deal with this threat.

Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 03:57 PM

I need to elaborate a bit more on this 'virus' as i think it is important. Firstly so people are aware of my computer/IT background so they can can make a judgement call on my post. I am computer qualified though not to degree level, more diploma level. I have many years experience of working indirectly with the IT (Information Technology) industry. I stated off as a computer programmer in my early days (17-21) then stopped and moved into electronics.

Now as for the virus. The two viruses mentioned in the OP's post are actually 2 files that are written and hidden in a .hta file. A .hta file is called HTML Application and it is a genuine file format used within the web development industry. You can write code and inject other files into it that will activate once you double click on an infected .hta file.

Now when you do a search of your hardrive(s) in search of .hta files as outlined in the OP, there will be genuine files found. On my own computer it found 3, all dating back to approx 2001, 2 related to HP printer install CD and 1 related to windows media player helpme documents.

What you need to be concerned about is any recent .hta file the search finds on your computer because what is happening is that scam emails and fake websites get people to click on a link that downloads the dodgy .hta file. This file hidden away inside of it has the 2 viruses that will install itself onto your computer if you was to double click on the virus .hta file. If you go to Microsoft's own website describing the issue, they report that their researchers found virus .hta files to contain two hidden files, one called Node.exe and one called WinDivert. These two files work in conjunction with one another in helping hackers take over your machine.

As a side note, genuine .hta files do not affect the functionality of software already installed on your computer meaning if your search shows up some files, and your in doubt if they are genuine or not, it is still safe to delete them.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 06:54 PM

Done it Ted......'No Items match your search' was the result..
Thanks Ted......
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Done it Ted......'No Items match your search' was the result..
Thanks Ted......
Well Done OGF!

d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 07:58 PM

I did it too.

Nothing found.

Thanks Tedc

But something doesn't add up. Nodersok has been around for a while, why ...

Apparently, Antivirus can't see it yet!
I don't use AV software, just Windows Defender. I don't understand how Nodersok can be a threat when Defender is turned on.

Also the AV people pride themselves as being ahead on the game ....

Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 08:07 PM

Nothing found on mine, either. Always good to double check.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 06:52 AM

Cheers Tedc.

Glad to say nothing found
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the warning and the clear instructions, Tedc, just searched my PC - nothing found.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 09:47 AM

Nothing found,thanks for the heads up Ted.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top