Join for free
Page 5 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 10:14 PM

Re: What if Scotland got their independence?

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
But it won't be for Scotland to decide and the EU will say no.
I agree, RC. What on earth does Scotland have to offer the EU - oil, lol? Do you really think we Scots would opt into accepting the Euro as our currency? Think again!
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
I agree, RC. What on earth does Scotland have to offer the EU - oil, lol? Do you really think we Scots would opt into accepting the Euro as our currency? Think again!

You don't need to teach me LT, I'm NO all the way.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
You don't need to teach me LT, I'm NO all the way.
Ditto!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Wasn’t going to comment any more on this thread as this has all been covered before but can’t help myself! Politically, Shropshire, you and I are far apart, which seems to mirror the politics of Scotland and England in general. However, I find the above a pretty reasonable post in general. (and in a reasonable tone). With Independence comes responsibility but at least we would be responsible for our own success or failure
Last word, off to lie in a dark room now!
I'll just get you a damp cloth for your forehead weekdeek.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 06:54 PM

[QUOTE=Ray Cathode;1768711]

Yes, Faslane !!!! Silly Me,

Anyway , of course Scotland could go it alone but I don't want to live in a country run by a bunch of Anti-English Braveheart Nationalists.

Its Naw from me !
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
First thing is they would not have access to our national health, they would have to sort something out to cover Scottish peoples health. Looks like private medical insurance.
They would have to train up their own medical staff or employ from abroad

Hospitals would have to be supported by the Scottish government as would schools and social care and police and other official departments such as local councils.

To cross the border by train road or air would mean passport controls

The Submarine base would be moved to the south coast,we would not want a foreign country services our naval defence

Of course this means the Scottish people would be more heavily taxed to cover the cost with less work available.

this is just to mention a few things that they won't have

So in truth I just cannot understand why they want independence , please enlighten me. You can bet the EU won't bale them out
Typical arrogant English answer. The NHS belongs to Scotland Wales and England equally as far as tax is concerned we will manage just fine if we pay more so what its our own people the money will be used for as far as the Submarine base being moved great that means you lot will be bombed first so good luck with that and right now your coast line is corroding away peoples homes are falling into the sea your part of the island is getting smaller so again good luck with that might be you could move onto the Submarines you moved to the south coast and we will just smile as we wave you goodbye
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 12:27 PM

The NHS. Would no longer be in Scotland ,you would have to have your own Scottish health service no support from England. The price of independence as would be everything else .Scot!and. Would have to support itself and stop scrounging from England as they do at the moment. Trading with the EU again distance by boat would be problem
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Thankyou Julie, for once someone positive. To be honest Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales are all of very different Culture and ideas. I think we should (if we all want) be able to stay United but each take care of it's own business, I see no reason why Westminster should hold the purse strings for everyone, or make the rules for us all. What goes on in London is different from the other 3 Countries and most of the time it doesn't suit. Scotland was not 100% to remain in the EU, far from it, should we become independent The SNP might just find they have big trouble on their hands if they tried to take us back into the EU. Also the SNP may just find themselves voted out after Independence, there are 4 other main parties up here who all want to be the ones running things.
I certainly agree with both Julie and you Roxy.
Voting for Independence will come from Scottish people's hearts.
Voting to go into the EU and all that will mean and yes, even all that will be lost forever, will have to come from Scottish people's heads.

I believe it would be such a massive life-changing decision for the Scottish to make, especially if they have not long gained their independence, Deciding on that EU vote could just be the difference to whether they really want to be tied in with anyone at all before they have even tasted what it is like to be a free country.

Oh well, only time will tell.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

27-08-2019, 01:04 PM

Could some kind Scottish soul tell me the following as I admit I have absolutely no clue how the land lies.

I know Scotland has the most beautiful islands dotted around. I have heard of the usual Inner Hebrides, Outer Hebrides, Isle of Sheppey, Arran, Bute and St. Kilda, I'm sure there must be more but cannot think of them just now.

My two questions are -

Are all of these lovely islands part of Scotland, or are they totally independent?

If they are part of Scotland but independent so to speak, would they be allowed to vote separately in the case of Independence and going into the EU?

Would genuinely like to know.

I did put the question into Google but couldn't get a satisfactory answer. Thanks x
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 01:11 PM

They're all part of Scotland, except the Isle of Sheppey which is in Kent.

Page 5 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top