Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 11:36 PM

Memories of the 50's & 60's.

OMG look at this - remember the bullet bra ladies (and men)?

Would love to see your memories of that era posted here.

Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 02:30 AM

Re: Memories of the 50's & 60's.

Good grief!
It's not only women that are slaves to fashion though.
Remember those awful winklepickers we all had to have.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 05:50 AM

I remember my mother struggling into something called a 'roll on' - not a pretty sight!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 05:52 AM

Then came the "Bumper" shoes
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Then came the "Bumper" shoes
and the drapes, and the brothel creepers!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 06:01 AM

What about when we wore one black sock and one white sock at the same time.
Great thing was we always had another pair exactly the same in a chest of draws
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

25-08-2019, 06:14 AM

The boys all had DA haircuts and practiced the Presley sneer, and us girls wore petticoats made from yards of net so stiffly starched it ripped our stockings at the backs of our knees.

Oh Carol - what have you started!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 08:24 AM

I remember as a little girl at primary school wearing a gym slip over a shirt and tie with a girdle at the waist .( tied with a Windsor knot)
I put on all this by myself every morning .
I was also in the Brownies which had another uniform with belt and complicated tie .
My granddaughter still can’t tie her shoelaces .
But thankfully the school uniform is simple now.

PS
I was going to post a picture of this but it appears that this uniform is very popular in Girlies mags and all I could find was buxom blondes wearing it.

Rather worrying .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 10:27 AM

Gosh Carol, they look like Exocet missiles launched ready to fire! It must’ve been before my time as l don’t remember women having bazookas like that....but then, would l have been looking?

I remember Duster coats, l had a pink one. Hula hoop petticoats. They weren’t very suitable if you rode a bike!
I remember, my mother knitting me two little Angora boleros. One pink and one white, that l usually wore to parties.

I remember mohair jumpers and skirts.
I remember pencilling in ‘Twiggy’s’ on my bottom lashes.
I remember bright pink or lime green fluorescent socks. Usually worn by Teddy boys.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 10:49 AM

I remember those times well. My home island spent much of those two decades getting rid of the evidence of the German occupation. Mines being exploded on the beaches was a frequent occurrence. Even nowadays one will occasionally be discovered.

The primary school I attended from the age of 4, it was like something out of the Victorian era. We wrote on slates, and some of our books dated back to that time as did the desks. As for the headteacher who was a pupil teacher when my grandfather was a lad, and headteacher when my father was at the school, he was very cruel and sadistic. He beat the children from poor homes, just because he felt like it. That awful man would be serving a prison sentence today for child cruelty.

My secondary school education was at the island's Ladies College, where I was a private pupil, they took girls who passed the scholarship too, like my best friend who came to our Golden Wedding do the week before last. The staff at the school wouldn't have looked out of place at Harry Potter's Hogwarts.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top