Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 04:01 PM

Re: Fracking

I know nothing about FRACKING Hazel, but its such a delioiously vulgar sounding word that I have earmarked it future use
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 04:02 PM

You are a one Robert .......
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
about 15 years ago we had a minor earth tremour which damaged my garden wall and there was a slight crack across the concrete, it never altered till about 3/4 years ago when it started to widen. I'd never heard of fracking, seems it started 2009, till it was suspended in 2011, they applied to reopen it either end of last year or early this not sure which cos there's so much going on round here you lose track, Anyhow according to the paper it was suspended cos of fears to the house foundations fairly close by (probably about a mile away), anyhow the coucil refused to grant permission.
Ah, that's interesting. Did the local council bring in their own geologist Hazel? Just in case the crack was due to other things (speed bumps near your house for example). Did any other neighbours have similar problems? I know heavy traffic (as in big lorries) and speed bumps damage foundations so I was wondering how fracking can't.

They also want to do open cast mining not far away from that.
I hadn't thought about mining - I wonder if mines produce the same kind of land disturbance (sorry, I'm really showing my ignorance now!).

Oh yes and they'd like a windfarm too. Now I'm not a geologist nor do I hold any politcal persuasion, I just don't want the Frackin in my area, just in case.
It's understandable when those in power seem incapable of being truthful. The fact that they're offering cheaper fuel to those who live nearby makes me suspicious. I'd really like it to be a good thing - anything that doesn't make us so reliant on other countries whims and fancies when it comes to charges but - at what price.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Perhaps nuclear is the best way to go ?
Absolutely not. Once they've learned to handle it and figure out how to dispose of it maybe but the risk is way too great.

The sea around the north of the Island showed (maybe still does for all I know) much higher levels of radiation that the side that faces Ireland (can't remember off hand which that is ) that came from Sellafield.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

10-07-2013, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I know nothing about FRACKING Hazel, but its such a delioiously vulgar sounding word that I have earmarked it future use
I would like to point out the remarkable, nay, outstanding effort I used in restraining myself from using it in the title bar the way I wanted to: I Haven't Got A ******** Clue
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 05:02 PM

[QUOTE=ben-varrey;304817]Ah, that's interesting. Did the local council bring in their own geologist Hazel? Just in case the crack was due to other things (speed bumps near your house for example). Did any other neighbours have similar problems? I know heavy traffic (as in big lorries) and speed bumps damage foundations so I was wondering how fracking can't.

I hadn't thought about mining - I wonder if mines produce the same kind of land disturbance (sorry, I'm really showing my ignorance now!).
Yes Karen mines produce quite serious subsidence. Near where I lived many buildings suffered subsidence damage and the owners received compensation. But coal mining meant removing about 3 to 5 feet of coal so, over the years, the ground above would gradually sink. Fracking does not remove solids but just the gas absorbed into the rocks. I can't imagine that this would cause subsidence.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

10-07-2013, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Yes Karen mines produce quite serious subsidence. Near where I lived many buildings suffered subsidence damage and the owners received compensation. But coal mining meant removing about 3 to 5 feet of coal so, over the years, the ground above would gradually sink. Fracking does not remove solids but just the gas absorbed into the rocks. I can't imagine that this would cause subsidence.
Many thanks Alan - I couldn't remember if it was you or Plantman that had worked in mining and then you posted about it!

Would the removal of the gas cause a problem? It has to take up space (sorry if I'm sounding like an idiot) so what happens then? The UK scientists are saying what you are saying so I'm hoping it's true and that the other comments were scare stories spread by the gas giants.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 05:09 PM

Its the high pressure method used to 'fracture' the rocky terrain thats the problem and the pollution also that emits from this work .....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

10-07-2013, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Its the high pressure method used to 'fracture' the rocky terrain thats the problem and the pollution also that emits from this work .....
Pollution
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

10-07-2013, 05:17 PM

When you consider all of the 'accidents' over the years - do we really want to add yet another 'risk' to our environment .....

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top