Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 05:55 PM

Have you written your will?

If not, what is stopping you? Do you think it's to macabre? Tempting fate? Too expensive? You haven't anything of value anyway?

Makes life a lot easier for those left behind
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 06:33 PM

Re: Have you written your will?

I was actually looking into this a while ago - I think there are some 'pre-made' type wills that you can download for as little as £10, and you just need to non-related witnesses to make it official although of course it would be better to get a solicitor to draw one up for you.

There are some 'free' ones too, but I think it's worth spending a bit to get it right.
Calismum
Scotland
Calismum is female  Calismum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 06:39 PM

Yes, but it so badly needs updating. Life has moved on a great deal since it was written.

- another thing to add to my 'to do soon' list.

One of my friends just won't get one written, says she has no intentionsd of thinking about it until she's 65!

I have to agree with dm - makes it so much easier for those left behind.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 06:41 PM

I think it's about £70 - 80 to have a solicitor do a 'normal' will Azz - and of course, they will also hold the master copy for you too
Or many charities have professional willwriters who charge about £30 and sometimes do it for nowt - I assume one is expected to leave something to the charity in recognition but I don't see how they can make you
Jackie
UK
Jackie is female  Jackie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 07:46 PM

Yes, and and we update them on a regular basis.

My daughter works for a solicitor, and they on occasion have cut price discounts for wills.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 07:50 PM

Yes, OH and I made our Wills about 4 years ago so that there is provision for his mother, should she be left behind as she would be unable to care for herself. We have no other dependants and I have no siblings.

The solicitors we went to was having an offer and we got it all done for a very reasonable fee. They store our Deeds for free too.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 08:41 PM

Yes, in 1994 when I retired, and was shocked by the sudden unexpected death of a good friend. But it's in need of updating....thanks for the reminder!
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 09:38 PM

I havn't as I have nothing of value to leave anyone.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by madmare ->
I havn't as I have nothing of value to leave anyone.
Same here Madmare-but actually made a will last year after my sister kept on and on at me and said that unless I made one everything would go to the state don't know how true this is though
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 10:12 PM

I don't know the law in the UK but if you die intestate here anything will go the State. And in a will you can indicate any burial/cremation preferences and an executor.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top