Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 08:27 PM

Re: Money CAN buy Happiness

I don't have any friends with big bucks to force down my throat .....do you?
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
I don't have any friends with big bucks to force down my throat .....do you?
i know folk that are always moaning, who have big bucks - do you?
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 08:42 PM

No.....the friends I have who do have big bucks (left in wills to them) are tight so don't mention money.
Jeana
Oregon, USA
Jeana is female 

03-11-2014, 12:25 AM

I can't be a#*ed with the poor me attitude because others are getting paid more than them.. get qualifications same as them, spend a few years studying with very little money to live on. Then end up with the lower paid worker moaning about you.
[QUOTE=Gabi;554264]
I can't be a#*ed with the poor me attitude because others are getting paid more than them.. get qualifications same as them, spend a few years studying with very little money to live on. Then end up with the lower paid worker moaning about you.[/QUOT

Well, Gabi, we were talking about someone with a 4 yr. degree who is financially ripping off the company, at other workers' expense, but I guess you missed that part.

Anyway, I have 2 years of college and I know people who have 4 years, who are making less money than I because that's all the work they can find.

At the same time, the wealthiest man I know, who has a very good job in one of the largest corporations in the world, has only 2 years of college.

I have also known of people who had no higher education whatsoever, who never want for anything.

Education is not the great equalizer.

Additionally, the idea that any 2 people in this world who obtain the same level of education in life will remain on the same financial level throughout their lives is naive. There is a saying: "Shit happens". Life is ready to throw crap at people without notice. Some people get hit, some don't, and some get hit over and over.

I started a business with my husband and we ran it together for 21 years. My husband turned out to have Narcissistic Personality Disorder and he became more difficult to live with as time went by, including that he was physically abusive. I left him, as society tells women to do. He quickly grabbed everything we had before I could even get money for an attorney. Our society doesn't put its money where it's mouth is regarding domestic abuse: The good ol' boy Judge let him get away with it and said 'no' to my request for enough money for a retainer for 1 attorney to stand up with me in court against my husband's 2 attorneys. Meanwhile my husband was living on our land, in our home, with our business and accounts, while I started working a job that paid minimum wage ($9 an hour) to survive. In the end, I received 1/6 of everything I'd worked for my entire life, and I've had to use it to supplement my income since then.

I have worked all my adult life. I am a survivor of domestic abuse. I am a survivor of our court system that doesn't back up a woman after it tells her to leave a dangerous situation. And I am a survivor of breast cancer AND the medical bills that go with it.

Right now I have a friend who is a single mother, an manager and accountant, with a 4 year degree, who is now in the middle of her own battle with breast cancer. She is having to apply for grants to keep a roof over her head and that of her child.

If you think education is solely what calls the shots in life when it comes to anyone's financial standing, then you have still got a lot to learn that wasn't covered in your formal education.

Life, not education, is the great equalizer.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 07:41 AM

Motivation is more important than education, in my experience, as is being in the right place at the right time, making sure you are in the right place. Many folks slag off achievers who do so outside the perceived education-career path, but imo it takes gumption for achievers who succeed outside the education system, gumption comes from within, not from a blackboard.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Motivation is more important than education, in my experience, as is being in the right place at the right time, making sure you are in the right place. Many folks slag off achievers who do so outside the perceived education-career path, but imo it takes gumption for achievers who succeed outside the education system, gumption comes from within, not from a blackboard.
I know quite a few people who just had a basic education but have done all right for themselves through initiative and hard work. Good luck to them I say.
Gabi
Lancs,.

03-11-2014, 01:16 PM

[QUOTE=Jeana;554399]
I can't be a#*ed with the poor me attitude because others are getting paid more than them.. get qualifications same as them, spend a few years studying with very little money to live on. Then end up with the lower paid worker moaning about you.[/QUOT

Well, Gabi, we were talking about someone with a 4 yr. degree who is financially ripping off the company, at other workers' expense, but I guess you missed that part.

Anyway, I have 2 years of college and I know people who have 4 years, who are making less money than I because that's all the work they can find.

At the same time, the wealthiest man I know, who has a very good job in one of the largest corporations in the world, has only 2 years of college.

I have also known of people who had no higher education whatsoever, who never want for anything.

Education is not the great equalizer.

Additionally, the idea that any 2 people in this world who obtain the same level of education in life will remain on the same financial level throughout their lives is naive. There is a saying: "Shit happens". Life is ready to throw crap at people without notice. Some people get hit, some don't, and some get hit over and over.

I started a business with my husband and we ran it together for 21 years. My husband turned out to have Narcissistic Personality Disorder and he became more difficult to live with as time went by, including that he was physically abusive. I left him, as society tells women to do. He quickly grabbed everything we had before I could even get money for an attorney. Our society doesn't put its money where it's mouth is regarding domestic abuse: The good ol' boy Judge let him get away with it and said 'no' to my request for enough money for a retainer for 1 attorney to stand up with me in court against my husband's 2 attorneys. Meanwhile my husband was living on our land, in our home, with our business and accounts, while I started working a job that paid minimum wage ($9 an hour) to survive. In the end, I received 1/6 of everything I'd worked for my entire life, and I've had to use it to supplement my income since then.

I have worked all my adult life. I am a survivor of domestic abuse. I am a survivor of our court system that doesn't back up a woman after it tells her to leave a dangerous situation. And I am a survivor of breast cancer AND the medical bills that go with it.

Right now I have a friend who is a single mother, an manager and accountant, with a 4 year degree, who is now in the middle of her own battle with breast cancer. She is having to apply for grants to keep a roof over her head and that of her child.

If you think education is solely what calls the shots in life when it comes to anyone's financial standing, then you have still got a lot to learn that wasn't covered in your formal education.

Life, not education, is the great equalizer.
Where did I say education is a great equaliser?

I was trying to make the point if you want the same salary as the ones who are in higher positions......then get the qualifications to do it.

I too know people who've made millions with no education but have a good business brain....

We all have grouses, there's a story behind every door.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 01:24 PM

I think it's being contented with your lot. Good luck to anyone who has an abundance of cash and can splash it whenever they feel like it. Doesn't mean they're any happier than us. I'd rather be contented than rich.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Just don't try and force your big bucks down folk's throats if you have them.

All my bucks are neither too big, nor too small, they are just right.

Ivy
CHI,LN
Ivy is female  Ivy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 10:38 AM

well, cry is not good to health.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top