Join for free
PoppyToo
New Member!
Northamptonshire
PoppyToo is female 

09-10-2014, 08:46 AM

Tax under/over paid!

I have just read that HM Tax office have made a mess of the tax paid by in excess of 5 million people - and I think I am one of them!

I received a tax rebate earlier this year, to my great surprise, so I rang the tax office to see what it was all about. They assured me that it was correct and that they had also adjusted my code so that it wouldn't happen again - consequently I have been paying less tax this year than last. Last week I received a revised tax code saying that I had underpaid tax this year and that they would claim it back through the higher code. I have tried to ring them twice but am just kept hanging on the line - now I know why, there must be 5 million other folks trying to get through!!

In the article I read folks were advised not to pay back the tax until they knew for certain that it wasn't a mistake - but mine is stopped directly from my teachers' pension so I have to pay it.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anything that can be done about it?
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2014, 09:36 AM

Re: Tax under/over paid!

Can't help you there but what on earth are they doing?! We appear to have very few capable people in government positions nowadays.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2014, 09:41 AM

Hi Poppy I heard about this on the radio, I think it only applies to those still working and on PAYE.

Quite a number of us here have retired so won't be affected.
I doubt that you can do much about it
Explanation of sorts below...

A spokesman for HMRC said the incorrect letters were "not demands" but merely tax summaries, "like the annual ones your credit card or bank sends you showing your total transactions across the year".
"No one has been asked to hand a penny over in tax because of this," the spokesman added.
"The majority of the errors have happened because an employer failed to make a final payment statement for the 2013/14 tax year, meaning our records were incomplete despite reminders that these submissions had to be made.
"We are sorry this has happened and we aim to issue corrected calculations in the next few weeks."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...C-blunder.html
....looks like they are trying to pass on the blame
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2014, 09:41 AM

Ha Ha look at it as savings.

I haven't paid any tax for years now but I have to put in a tax return to claim to get back the tax my fully franked share dividends have paid I just regard it as saving.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2015, 10:29 PM

Yes my wife, and it has taken her 12 months of letters phone calls ETc, if you phone you can never speak to the same person again so you end up spending the first 10 mins going through from the beginning again.
They just stopped the money over 3 years, and it wasn't until they just said one small thing that she realised that in actual fact they had been over taxing her. Well the 12 month saga is that they have had to pay back £1600, PLUS we also managed to get an ex gracia payment of £50 and £20 for phone calls.
So it shows that it pays to persue these things .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2015, 10:00 AM

They did this to me a couple of years ago, gave me a rebate, then hiked my rate up to reclaim it the gave me another rebate. I haven't cashed the cheque and am still waiting for them to write to me to tell me it is mine. They promised that 6 months ago still no sign they are doing it.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top