Join for free
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2010, 12:47 PM

Gordon Brown sneaked this one in quietly.

Being an 'army widow' I get a small pension from the army. If usually goes up by a small amount in April in line with inflation.
I have just had a letter to say it will not be going up this year, and what is more we should take some comfort from the fact the pension is not going down. Strange coincidence the letter arrived the day after voting for the election ended !

I appreciate I am lucky to get a pension at all, however if my late husband had not been sent to Northern Ireland at the behest of the government and been injured I wouldn't have needed a pension in the first place . I also appreciate inflation was low at certain times last year but that did not prevent lots of prices going up.

I understand inflation or not the MPs voted themselves a 1.5% pay increase .
I guess army widows are an easy target for cuts, we are not in any position to complain .

Be afraid now the elections are over, I think this is a taste of things to come..
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2010, 01:13 PM

Re: Gordon Brown sneaked this one in quietly.

...and I am surprised at how expensive everything has got too! Fruit and veg is more expensive than chocolate and 'junk' these days!!

£1.99 for 4 pears
£5.00 for 12 plums
£2.29 for a melon

And if you go to the 'cheaper' stores their fruit and veg is such crap quality that it's almost tasteless! (not to mention nutritious-less!) Yet I bet the supermarket is still making a tonne of money!
welshgit
llanybydder, wales
welshgit is male  welshgit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2010, 01:51 PM

Aye it's tough at times these days
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2010, 03:06 PM

Yep . . . . we's all gonna have to tighten our belts a bit now . . . look on the bright side . . . thank christ we aint as bad as Greece.
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
yep . . . . We's all gonna have to tighten our belts a bit now . . . Look on the bright side . . . Thank christ we aint as bad as greece.
yet.......
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2010, 08:07 PM

I would be targeting the lay-abouts that won't work, not pensioners. My blood boils sometimes when I look out of my office, watching all the crack heads drinking special brew at 10am and lining up for their methadone (they pronounce it mefadone). I don't want to sound like a bigot, but I cannot bear people who behave like parasites. grrrrr
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2010, 07:12 PM

PP are they BNP members?

Nero, who says we are not as bad as Greece?, Brown. Dont believe him he says one thing to your face and another behind your back.
It would not surprise me when the truth comes out if we are not worse than Greece.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top