Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2016, 03:44 PM

Re: Churchill.

JBR, You were not in the Armed forces were you? If you had been you would know why they voted the Tories out.
Bruce it might surprise you to know that not everybody here thinks the Sun shone out of Churchill's backside.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2016, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
JBR, You were not in the Armed forces were you? If you had been you would know why they voted the Tories out.
Bruce it might surprise you to know that not everybody here thinks the Sun shone out of Churchill's backside.
Churchill was a good wartime PM, I don't think there is too much doubt about that, but pretty hopeless as a peacetime one. He also had a drink problem by all accounts.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2016, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Churchill was a good wartime PM, I don't think there is too much doubt about that, but pretty hopeless as a peacetime one. He also had a drink problem by all accounts.
Yes - agree with that
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2016, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Yes I was. However, I thought the reason he was voted out was because, after the shortages during the war, people wanted more of the goodies and easier life promised by Labour (with complete disregard of what the country could afford!).

Nothing changes.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2016, 07:43 PM

I thought it was to do with the introduction of the National Health Service - which Churchill didn't want
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2016, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I thought it was to do with the introduction of the National Health Service - which Churchill didn't want
Really? I didn't know that.
Why would he not have wanted something like that?

What about the 'welfare state'? Could that have been a reason too and was he against that as well?

Sorry to go off at a tangent but, although I believe the welfare state (and NHS) was an excellent concept, I can't help thinking that (possibly due to mismanagement) the welfare state has been abused heavily since those early days.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

11-03-2016, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Really? I didn't know that.
Why would he not have wanted something like that?

What about the 'welfare state'? Could that have been a reason too and was he against that as well?

Sorry to go off at a tangent but, although I believe the welfare state (and NHS) was an excellent concept, I can't help thinking that (possibly due to mismanagement) the welfare state has been abused heavily since those early days.
Well he didn't - even a lot of doctors didn't want the NHS either

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top