Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 10:39 AM

Coffee and Tea Capsules

I watched a documentary from Norddeutscherudfunks (NDR) last night about the changing tastes in Germany and differences in preparing drinks. The programme started with the ever growing capsule market and explored the differences between the same brands made with capsules and out of boxes or bags. However, the big shock came when the interviewer disclosed in Germany alone, over 500 tonnes of spent capsules were put in landfill each year.

I suppose the same for France, GB etc etc. I have resisted capsules on the basis that they are more expensive per gramme than bagged. What do you think?

If you are ever in North Germany, pop in? http://www.teemuseum.de/index.php?id=31
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 10:45 AM

Re: Coffee and Tea Capsules

It's our guilty pleasure I'm afraid a chai latte from the tassimo machine we tried reusable capsules but they were a pain to fill and clogged up the machine. That's what's needed a reusable capsule that's easy to use and works with the machines.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 10:58 AM

I wouldn't touch capsules with a barge pole
Coffee is one of my great pleasures made simply with a filter paper and freshly ground Kenyan coffee. The none bleached filter paper and grounds go into the compost bin after use.

I have had capsules at the homes of other people and from very expensive machines to yuk nasty ...

Do we really need more things like capsules adding to landfill.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 11:27 AM

Well I must be a backward wench, because I've never even heard of capsuled drinks.

Now I have heard of these, it still has no interest for me.

I have always said that one day, when they have built over all farmland, forestry, and any open spaces, there will be no where left to grow our food. Then we will be forced to eat dried food like we give to animals.
Are these capsules the beginning?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 11:49 AM

You must have heard of them mups it's the tassimo, dolce, nespresso machines, advertised all over the place.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 11:50 AM

We discovered Senseo coffee pads whilst in Germany and, when we got home, bought the coffee machine from Amazon. We have never seen them in the shops.

It produces excellent Douwe Egbert crema coffee which works out at about 12p per cup. I think that's favourable compared to most pod machines.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-03-2017, 11:52 AM

We tried many before settling on a tassimo, only chose that because it gave the hottest drinks.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Coffee is one of my great pleasures made simply with a filter paper and freshly ground Kenyan coffee.
I'm with you Meg cannot beat having the coffee pot on and I love the smell of coffee brewing.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-03-2017, 12:15 PM

We used to do that but only wanting one cup at 4am and another at 8am then possible late afternoon we always had stewed coffee or wasted coffee. The pods are great for just a single cup. They make tea, chais and hot chocolate too which is pretty yummy.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 12:51 PM

A coffee machine is very convenient but the pods are rapidly becoming a menace to the environment:

https://www.honestcoffees.com/blog/e...g-coffee-pods/

Almost 200 million capsules are bought in the UK each year, according to Kantar World Panel, and 1 in 5 of us own a coffee pod machine according to The Grocer magazine. Generally, pods are not accepted by local recycling collections, which means that the majority of them end up in landfill.

Nespresso coffee pods hold 6g of coffee in 3g of packaging. With sales of pods expected to treble in the UK by 2020, millions of pods will continue to be loaded onto landfill sites for years to come providing archaeologists in the next millennium with an insight into twenty-first century consumer habits.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top