Join for free
Page 51 of 55 « First < 41 49 50 51 52 53 > Last »
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2014, 02:24 PM

Re: What books are you reading now?

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
Tachyon, I am really liking the sound of this book and television series however, I can only find mention of it being shown on Starz in the USA.
Yes, I have no idea when it will be shown in the UK, sadly. I've checked a few sites and none of them have a clue as to the release date.

The first book in the series was initially called "Cross-stitch" which is a name that probably didn't attract a lot of attention from people browsing the book shelves! The first book has been reprinted as "Outlander" to link it with the TV series.

I've finished the first book and Diana Gabaldon certainly pulls no punches at times. How much of that will make it to the TV screen remains to be seen, but the books are comparable to "Game of Thrones" in terms of violence and sex.
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2014, 05:34 PM

I see there are a few posts about the merits of kindles - I am a complete convert (always when I'm shouting loudest 'Never!' you can guarantee a week later....) Which isn't to say that I don't still have far too many books, but for travelling and reading in bed and holidays the single book can't beat the thousands of e ones on the kindle and in the mysterious 'cloud' which I still can't quite get my head round. I always have a few books on the go till one takes over and demands to be finished. At the moment I am rereading David Mitchell's Ghostwritten as his latest refers back to earlier books and I have a dreadful memory. I am delighted that I am finding it just as good the second time around.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2014, 07:41 PM

Never fancied a kindle but who knows, maybe in the future I may be a convert. I am reading an Inspector Banks crime fiction at the moment and that will be followed by an Ann Rule true crime book I got today from the charity shop at 5 for £1!! not bad at all!!
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2014, 01:06 PM

All the books I put onto my Kindle are free books. I can also access them on my phone and the audio books I can listen to in bed. At the moment I am reading Kevin and I in India by Frank Kusy. It is acclaimed as one of the funniest and most true to life books ever written about India. I don't know about that but I have laughed out loud throughout the book and it is so good when you read it aloud the person listening can see what is going on in their imagination. I shall be looking for more books by this author.

A couple of things about the Kindle. One is that you don't need to have the light on to read, it has an adjustable back light. Secondly it is very light and that is good for my arthritic shoulder. Thirdly I have approximately 200 books on my kindle so that I can delete if I can't get on with them or read whenever I like. So, fourthly if we are still counting, when I went into hospital I had all of those books plus any being offered by Amazon on a daily basis with me. The Kindle is light and I have a very pretty pink leather cover so I can always find it and of course it just slips into my handbag and I have always got my read with me.

I always felt I didn't want a Kindle as I have always had a love affair with books, however, I find that if you don't want pictures the Kindle is great for my reasons and probably more.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 01:34 PM

I'm reading a trilogy by Leslie Pearce. The book titles are: Belle - The Promise - Survivor.
Good thick books that you can get your teeth into - 600 pages long.

Belle is about this young girl who witnesses a murder and is Kidnapped & sold into prostitution.
The Promise and Survivor follows the story of Belle.

I'm in the middle of The Promise now - the story never flags.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I'm reading "On the edge" by Richard Hammond (with sections by his wife Mindy). It mainly concerns the horrific crash he had in a jet powered car and his subsequent slow recovery. It's a fascinating insight into how brain damage affects someone and those around them.
Being a huge fan of TG and its presenters, I got this at the very beginning. I found Mindy's sections to be very well written. I think that is why she now writes a column in the Sunday Express magazine. She is a very good story teller.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 02:56 PM

ATM i have a very light weight paperback called Ellie Andrews has second thoughts, by Ruth Saberton.

Waiting in the wings are:

The flavours of love (Dorothy Koomson)
Bing me home (Alan Titchmarsh)
Long way home (Eva Dolan)
Seeing other people (Mike Gayle)

Going back to Kindle, what I do before ordering a book is use the take a peek option, whereby you can read the beginning. If I like the style of writing, and know I'd be able to read it, then I'll order. If it looks hard going, I won't bother.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

21-11-2014, 09:04 PM

I went on to Amazon after reading a few posts, and bought a Frank Kusy for 99p, and two freebies.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2014, 09:30 PM

I just read 'Moonfleet'...

Originally Posted by Wiki
Moonfleet is a tale of smuggling by the English novelist J. Meade Falkner, first published in 1898. The book was extremely popular among children worldwide up until the 1970s, mostly for its themes of adventure and gripping storyline. It remains a popular story widely read and is still sometimes studied in schools.
Great book. Hardly any unnecessary dialogue or scenarios. Very exciting. Left me feeling slightly deprived though as it could well have been 'padded out' and made to be a much longer read and still would have worked for me.

It has been adapted for the big screen (and TV) a number of times with the first starring Stewart Granger.

The above is a Kindle FREEBEE .

Reading Treasure Island now (again) - another Kindle FREEBEE.

I love Kindle FREEBEEs .

I also love the way these books are written and the command of the English Language these authors display: colons, semi colons all over the place and in their proper places; a great way to learn about them (<-- practice).
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 12:00 AM

Maureen Lee - The Seven Streets of Liverpool

Page 51 of 55 « First < 41 49 50 51 52 53 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top