Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 12:01 PM

Today I am officially a pensioner.

What more can I say.

Once the warmer weather comes next year I shall be looking for advice on what to do or where to go to meet others, never really liked my fellow and don't really make friends easily, but there you go.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 12:02 PM

Re: Today I am officially a pensioner.

Aha. Congratulations Mr. Fraggle. You've made it.
And now have a happy birthday to celebrate.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 12:10 PM

When I retired I was advised by a friend who had retired about a year earlier - 'treat retirement like a job; you've got to have a plan otherwise you'll end up doing bugger all'

If, like me, you've lost touch with friends & acquaintances you could look at things like the University of the third age, or Mens Sheds
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 12:22 PM

Congratulations MrFraggle, you will wonder how you ever had time to work.

What age do men & women retire at now? Mine was 60, though I carried on working til I was 62. Late OH retired early due to ill health, but his official age to retire was 65. I have a feeling it's much later now.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 12:32 PM

I have actually been medically retired for ten years following treatment for throat cancer which really kicked the s*** out of me. When I was ready to go back to work after some 5 years I discovered that ageism is alive and thriving in Scotland and experience counted for nothing.

Lost my long term partner earlier this year and have never really had friends and have no family that I care to have anything to do with, we take dysfunctional family to an all new level.

So next year I feel I need to do 'stuff' what as yet I have no idea.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 12:32 PM

I did plan what to do as a hobby before I retired. As you know or should do by now it is photography. Ok why? well i did it in the old film days a bit but film costs stopped that. One thing is you don't need to be with anyone to indulge in the hobby if you don't want to. Also as there is so much rubbish on TV editing photos takes up time in an evening and actually enjoyable. There is always something new to learn as well. Thee are clubs one can join but I choose not to as I understand they can get a bit "bitchy" at times.

So something you can take up Glen as a hobby. It doesn't have to be expensive.

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 12:35 PM

Congratulations, time to spoil yourself.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 12:39 PM

Congratulations from me too. I hope you've paid off your house, car and ex wifes.
Life begins at retirement age, but it won't last all that much longer.
Make the most of it.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom

29-11-2018, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I did plan what to do as a hobby before I retired. As you know or should do by now it is photography. Ok why? well i did it in the old film days a bit but film costs stopped that. One thing is you don't need to be with anyone to indulge in the hobby if you don't want to. Also as there is so much rubbish on TV editing photos takes up time in an evening and actually enjoyable. There is always something new to learn as well. Thee are clubs one can join but I choose not to as I understand they can get a bit "bitchy" at times.

So something you can take up Glen as a hobby. It doesn't have to be expensive.

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/
Tried photography and spent a fair bit on a decent DSLR and lenses but unfortunately one of the side effects of my treatment was several sleep disorders which have led to quite serious affects on my mental faculties one being the inability to learn new things. No matter how many times I read what I should do in regards to settings and putting them in practice by the following day I would have forgotten everything so losing the full potential of the camera.
Sold it and bought a reasonable bridge camera which does what I want.

I have always built my own PC's and would spend weeks researching components yet that interest has died, I was an avid reader but now cannot concentrate long enough, I could go on but hey it is what it is. It was either take sleeping pills and be zombified during the day of learn to live with it.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 01:09 PM

Congratulations Mr Fraggle!
Plenty of good suggestions there for you, whenever you do take it easy and enjoy yourself, that’s the main thing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top