Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 12:18 AM

Re: I don't want a smart meter

They are the thin end of the wedge.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 01:18 AM

Hi

I want smart meters but cannot get them.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
If you have solar on your roof a smart meter is absolutely essential. If you don't have one you are giving your surplus power away for free to the electricity company.

The only real price danger with smart meters is if the companies start charging for apparent power rather than real power. (ie V x I instead of V x ICosØ - I think that is right)

There is no evidence world wide that smart meters lead to higher electricity bills, the evidence is that power bills remain the same or marginally less.

What smart meter do do is provide an incentive to use power at off peak times which means that less generation capacity is needed - a lot of that capacity sits idle for most of the day.
To record the 'wattless' current a trivector meter will be required and a smart meter is not one of those. With modern IC controlled domestic appliances and lighting, the power factor will be so close to unity it wont be worth the power suppliers going to all the expense of trivectoring each domestic consumer.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
To record the 'wattless' current
Why would you want to?
You get charged for kWh, not kVAh.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I want smart meters but cannot get them.
You can have the appointment to have them installed that we've just refused to accept.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Why would you want to?
I don't, because I am on a single phase domestic supply.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 05:08 PM

I don't, because I am on a single phase domestic supply.
As are the majority of UK residences.
But that doesn't mean you can't have loads that are not unity power factor or don't have significant harmonic content.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 09:29 PM

To record the 'wattless' current a trivector meter will be required and a smart meter is not one of those. With modern IC controlled domestic appliances and lighting, the power factor will be so close to unity it wont be worth the power suppliers going to all the expense of trivectoring each domestic consumer.
Nonsense! Smart meters can measure reactive power and could be programmed to charge for it.

Smart meters can tell you how much reactive power (kVArh) is generated from your energy supply. They display the difference between working power and total power consumed. Reactive power is in effect wasted power, but is often still billable. By using smart meters, customers can see the amount of reactive power that is being wasted but it’s up to the customer to do something about it.

https://www.reo.co.uk/being_smart_about_smart_meters

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Why would you want to?
You get charged for kWh, not kVAh.
Electricity companies could argue that they have to provide the wiring to handle the higher currents. Whether companies will or not is up to them or legislation.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 09:35 PM

Regardless of what the electricity company says, there is no legal requirement to have a smart meter installed.

This link is the official guidance on smart meters by Ofgem https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/h...de-your-rights

and if you click on the button that says 'Show' on the question 'Are smart meters mandatory?', you will see the response is 'No'.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 09:45 AM

I get the impression those of us who don't want a smart meter will be 'frozen out'

I have been with OVO energy for many years and have always sent in my meter readings on time on the last day of the month and made sure there was plenty of credit in my account going into the winter .
The website has changed and when I tried to submit my meter readings for June (2 of them because I have economy 7) I was unable to do so because there was only one 'box' to enter the numbers and a note saying I had already submitted the number for this month
When I looked again yesterday an estimated bill had been generated for a third more electricity than I normally use

A smart meter would be no good here anyway in an area with a poor mobile signal (my phone is 2G)
Smart meters communicate with energy suppliers using mobile technology (network coverage) and a weak signal can prevent a meter sending reads. If you live in certain rural areas or those notorious for having bad mobile phone signals, the chances are that a smart meter may struggle to work in your house.
So I requested a refund to lower my credit balance, changed my Direct Debit to half and switched supplier to Octopus who have good reviews on WHICH.
The final insult was a 'sorry you are leaving' email from OVO telling me how to take a final reading from my smart meter

OVO used to be a great company but took over other Electricity Providers and became 'too big for their boots' with little thought for loyal customers.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top