Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 08:05 PM

Pathetic carrots?

It's simply beyond me why despite much nurturing my carrots are always tiny and stunted. We are thinking of having raised beds next year and I am hoping this will lead to normal sized carrots.

But I was wondering if anyone has any tips and tricks, because surely carrots must be so easy to grow?
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

11-09-2018, 08:16 PM

Re: Pathetic carrots?

You need to dig your soil really well AnnieS to grow carrots successfully. We used to sieve our soil to remove all the stones as they hate anything that stunts their growth.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Panda ->
You need to dig your soil really well AnnieS to grow carrots successfully. We used to sieve our soil to remove all the stones as they hate anything that stunts their growth.

Also, big stones can make the carrots 'fork.'

Just a thought, but have you tried several different varieties Annie, or do you always try and grow the same type?

Might be an idea to try a completely different strain in your ground.
I have had some delicious Royal Chataneys this year.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 04:15 PM

Annie I understand it has been a bad year for carrots.
They do like a really sandy soil so if you are putting in raised beds try making part of one very sandy to get long straight carrots.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Annie I understand it has been a bad year for carrots.
They do like a really sandy soil so if you are putting in raised beds try making part of one very sandy to get long straight carrots.
Do you literally mix sand with soil or do you have to buy it?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Do you literally mix sand with soil or do you have to buy it?
Yes LD there are different kinds of sand depending on the use.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 04:33 PM

Sand in the soil thats all

Best year we had we carrots we used a huge pile of manure, something they say carrots don't like - go figure

This year so far they are tiny but we will keep them in and see how they fare
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 07:52 PM

Very bad year for carrots on my allotment they all failed
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 09:41 PM

Oh gosh I have been using the wrong soil! Thank you for the advice about sand and sieving will follow through next year. It sounds so much more complicated than I expected, but using heavy soil will explain it. We accidentally bought some topsoil but I didn't realise it would be so heavy. The tomatoes loved it though. It happened last time a few years ago but they were planted right in the ground then (a different variety) but it must have been the stones.

The only things that have done well this year are tomatoes, potatoes (yum) and a totally luxuriant horseradish I planted two years ago and have little use for as it's so hot it will blow the lid off your head!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

12-09-2018, 09:42 PM

I will try to see if I can find Royal Chataneys in the garden centre maybe that will be third time lucky

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top