Join for free
Page 6 of 18 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 09:00 AM

Re: What’s New in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I've just checked Windows Update and 1803 is being installed on my (recently reset) laptop .....

..... but 1809 is being re-installed on my Desktop .....

ETA 1809 installed and working OK on Desktop .....
I think those who already had version 1809 installed before the update was pulled last month are getting a more minor update for it rather than the whole thing being reinstalled.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I think those who already had version 1809 installed before the update was pulled last month are getting a more minor update for it rather than the whole thing being reinstalled.
That's true ..... the DT update only took 5 minutes .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 03:46 PM

The following in the article is interesting:

If we detect that your device may have an issue, such as an application incompatibility, we will not install the update until that issue is resolved, even if you “Check for updates,” so you avoid encountering any known problems. For those advanced users seeking to install the update early by manually using “Check for updates” in settings, know that we are slowly throttling up this availability, while we carefully monitor data and feedback

We plan to add a Windows update status dashboard in the coming year to provide more information on any issues that lead to update blocks.

It therefore looks like updates could be blocked by having an incompatible program installed. I don't know what sort that might be though. Perhaps some security program or other could cause it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
The following in the article is interesting:

If we detect that your device may have an issue, such as an application incompatibility, we will not install the update until that issue is resolved, even if you “Check for updates,” so you avoid encountering any known problems. For those advanced users seeking to install the update early by manually using “Check for updates” in settings, know that we are slowly throttling up this availability, while we carefully monitor data and feedback

We plan to add a Windows update status dashboard in the coming year to provide more information on any issues that lead to update blocks.

It therefore looks like updates could be blocked by having an incompatible program installed. I don't know what sort that might be though. Perhaps some security program or other could cause it.
Yes, I read that. On the face of it, it sounds reassuring but, nevertheless, I'll stick with my 'metered connection' ploy for a bit longer as it seems to have worked so far.

Personally, I'm relatively happy with Windows 10 as it is and really have no wish to have any additional features, etc, installed.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 12:20 AM

I'm used to it now.
Updates are far less than before.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 02:59 AM

My system must have been updated last night because it was still shutting down when I went to bed.

Sweetie pie is right there seem to be less updates now, I think I read somewhere that Tuesday was Soylent Gre... sorry... update day.

It is; I checked. Here are the dates for Windows 10 updates:

Nov. 13, 2018
Jan. 15, 2019
March 12, 2019
April 9, 2019
July 15, 2019
Sept. 10, 2019
Oct. 8, 2019
Nov. 12, 2019
Jan. 14, 2020
Jan. 15, 2020
April 14, 2020
May 12, 2020
July 15, 2020
Sept. 8, 2020
Oct. 13, 2020
Nov. 10, 2020

More details here:
https://www.computerworld.com/articl...ese-dates.html

Now all you Windows 7 tragics know what you are missing out on between now and 14th Jan 2020 when you are thrown to the wolves.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 11:17 AM

Vista was cast adrift last year and I haven't noticed a scrap of difference..... Bring it on microsoft!....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Vista was cast adrift last year and I haven't noticed a scrap of difference..... Bring it on microsoft!....
I assume you are still successfully using Vista?

Such a situation would suit me too. I am perfectly happy with a working OS (W10 in my case) and have absolutely no wish for constant interference and 'improvements' from Microsoft.

As long as it works, it is all I want and, after all, I have paid for it; surely it is MY operating system.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I assume you are still successfully using Vista?

Such a situation would suit me too. I am perfectly happy with a working OS (W10 in my case) and have absolutely no wish for constant interference and 'improvements' from Microsoft.

As long as it works, it is all I want and, after all, I have paid for it; surely it is MY operating system.
I sure am JB, It is installed on my desktop PC and I can fulfill all of my computer needs on it. Visiting Over 50's, making and updating spreadsheets and databases, Electronics and Property Drawings, and Internet Banking. It also serves as backup for my netbook that still operates on Windows 7.....It's never received a microsoft update in it's life, and neither has my netbook. Never had any bother at all.... I hope I don't regret writing this....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-11-2018, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I sure am JB, It is installed on my desktop PC and I can fulfill all of my computer needs on it. Visiting Over 50's, making and updating spreadsheets and databases, Electronics and Property Drawings, and Internet Banking. It also serves as backup for my netbook that still operates on Windows 7.....It's never received a microsoft update in it's life, and neither has my netbook. Never had any bother at all.... I hope I don't regret writing this....
Makes you wonder, doesn't it, whether all these subsequent Windows are not offered as a means to part us from our money!

Page 6 of 18 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top