Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2015, 04:02 AM

Where's the BBC?

Last year at most hotels I stayed in Asia offered the BBC World News as an option on the in house TV.

This year I have not seen it once. As an example the current hotel in Thailand offers 50 channels of programs including four English language news channels.

Aljarzeera
France24
Fox News
News Asia

With the exception of Fox News they are all excellent but where has the BBC gone? If it had been one hotel in one country that would not be worth commenting on but none of them in nearly four weeks? A couple of places had AustraliaPlus but no BBC which was nice for me but surprising.
Dozeymare
Kent, UK
Dozeymare is female  Dozeymare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2015, 07:24 AM

Re: Where's the BBC?

Hmmm! Interesting that! Think I'll do a bit of investigative journalism... You've got me thinking now.
Be back .
Dozeymare
Kent, UK
Dozeymare is female  Dozeymare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2015, 08:11 AM

Just a quick thought... Given that the BBC is funded by licence payers and doesn't use advertising to fund itself might it be that many hotels ( which are usually owned by just a few chains) are simply just not paying to subscribe to it any more in these cost conscious days... Particularly as there are now many other excellent news providers?
Am still pondering...
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2015, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Last year at most hotels I stayed in Asia offered the BBC World News as an option on the in house TV.

This year I have not seen it once. As an example the current hotel in Thailand offers 50 channels of programs including four English language news channels.

Aljarzeera
France24
Fox News
News Asia

With the exception of Fox News they are all excellent but where has the BBC gone? If it had been one hotel in one country that would not be worth commenting on but none of them in nearly four weeks? A couple of places had AustraliaPlus but no BBC which was nice for me but surprising.
Interesting Question.

Googled a few sites but no definite answer.

Did read a years ago that the BBC were cutting back on their world service.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2015, 10:43 AM

I was just going to say what Sue has said.
They cut the funding for the World Service news around
the World the other year
They had quite a lot of complaints especially from Africa
where there are lots of users.

p.s. I noticed we have Aljazeera on our package.
I watched it the other month when they had the
shooting in Paris. I later thought I might get
a call from the secret service wondering why I
was watching it
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dozeymare ->
Just a quick thought... Given that the BBC is funded by licence payers and doesn't use advertising to fund itself might it be that many hotels ( which are usually owned by just a few chains) are simply just not paying to subscribe to it any more in these cost conscious days... Particularly as there are now many other excellent news providers?
Am still pondering...
I don't think that is the answer, no ads on France24 and Aljazeera that I saw, didn't watch Fox and Asia News long enough to be sure. The other comment I would make is that like home subscribers these hotels subscribe to a package and these news services are usually in the basic packages as I understand it because they are effectively 'free' to the cable company.

This might well be no longer true but the absence of a player and, in many ways, the de facto rep of the UK like the BBC is strange.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2015, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
Interesting Question.

Googled a few sites but no definite answer.

Did read a years ago that the BBC were cutting back on their world service.
Yes I read that too.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2015, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Aljarzeera
France24
Fox News
News Asia

No CNN either? Used to be that both BBC and CNN were available as standard.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

26-03-2015, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
No CNN either? Used to be that both BBC and CNN were available as standard.
A few places had CNN but not this particular hotel which seems to think Fox is a substitute.

I must correct something I said earlier France24 does have ads but they must be few and far between- I have seen just one, for Microsoft Cloud.
Dozeymare
Kent, UK

26-03-2015, 04:10 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/...list-news.html
Hi Bruce... Indeed I am wrong .. Hope this link might help

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top