Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 08:41 AM

holidays with friends

enjoying meeting you all , so thought I'd ask if similar has happened to you. Recently returned from month in Spain, took an old friend of 18 years (had holidays together before , the odd week) and met up with group of people known to me. We had our own rooms which to me is necessary.

My friend, D , took instant dislike to friend J, the atmosphere was awful, D, was rude and off for the whole of the month .

I had words with D who's attitude was , she was not prepared to be any different ! The whole group split and at times it was difficult. Now been home a month , I've decided never to holiday with a group of friends again, have decided not to have contact with D any more . So you can see some of the picture!

Has this happened to any of you ? I've decided I only want people in my life who make me smile, and sadly removing people who make me sad and cause me stress
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 08:45 AM

Re: holidays with friends

Originally Posted by susan m ->
enjoying meeting you all , so thought I'd ask if similar has happened to you. Recently returned from month in Spain, took an old friend of 18 years (had holidays together before , the odd week) and met up with group of people known to me. We had our own rooms which to me is necessary.

My friend, D , took instant dislike to friend J, the atmosphere was awful, D, was rude and off for the whole of the month .

I had words with D who's attitude was , she was not prepared to be any different ! The whole group split and at times it was difficult. Now been home a month , I've decided never to holiday with a group of friends again, have decided not to have contact with D any more . So you can see some of the picture!

Has this happened to any of you ? I've decided I only want people in my life who make me smile, and sadly removing people who make me sad and cause me stress

Wise decision Sue - I have done the same
Had one bad experience in the past which taught me, friends are fine, but not living with them for 2 weeks unless - they are a particularly good friend and you know 2 weeks with them will be fine, but a mixture of friends, no way ......
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 08:56 AM

When I was in my early twenties I went touring Europe on a motorbike with a friend a couple of times. The first year there were just the two of us and we got on fine, the second year he invited one of his friends and so there were three of us and we didn't get on at all. I stopped seeing that friend when we got home.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 09:05 AM

Sue we have had similar posts on here before.

As I have got older I have realise time is to short for 'putting up with things' I can do without the hassle and I am better off on my own .

The thought of spending a month with anyone fills me with dread, I guess I have lived alone too long...
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->

It didn't happen on holiday Sue, but it happened on a night out with a couple of my friends. The two females fell out and the atmosphere was awful and I was piggy in the middle. They now detest each other and it will be very awkward to arrange anything else. Life's too bloody short for that carry-on!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 10:10 AM

I was silly enough to do it once with next door neighbours who were our age and had a son almost our sons age...

They were awful. It lead to us trying to avoid them once we got home and I promised myself Id never be so daft again.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 10:18 AM

They do say it's the test of friendship when you go on holiday with someone
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
They do say it's the test of friendship when you go on holiday with someone
Times I've been on holiday with friends and experienced problems. Was glad to either go on my own, or with my Mum.

Tried a caravan holiday with my younger sister year before last and that was disastrous as we argued over the tv! So then she started going away with an older colleague of hers (and still she argued with her, but if she prefers it, fine. )

I much prefer being on my own now, going where I want, when I want, and at my own pace. Taking a flask and packed lunch if I want, going to bed when I want. Reading a book if I want.

But I will talk to people. Made friends with a couple in Malta Nov 13 and the husband often emails me. (No!!! Nothing saucy going on. We just became friendly, that's all, while sitting in the lounge.)
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 11:36 AM

I have been on various holidays with various friends over the years and never really had any major problems. If there has been something we both, or all, wanted to see or do, then we have gone together, but quite often we would do our own thing and meet up for dinner in the evening. I think it fair to say I´m very easy going most of the time and if someone is really annoying me I "switch off". The important thing, I think, is to ensure that you get enough time and space to yourself, or that you are comfortable enough with the other person/s to have your niggles without permanently breaking a friendship. We have had this happen with a pair of our oldest friends, who were more like family. This was due to a third party making up stories but unfortunately our friends chose to believe the third party. When the wife of our friends phoned to "have a go at me", I told her only that she must decide who to believe and said I´ll leave it with you, then I put the phone down. It took almost 4 years for her to realise that the third party was a huge trouble maker, it probably took a lot less but the courage to admit she was wrong took more time. However last summer she finally plucked up courage, I see no point in bearing grudges and now things are more or less back to normal. These particular friends actually moved here 10 years ago, we had all known each other most of our lives.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

04-04-2015, 11:57 AM

We're having our friends to our apartment in Spain for a week in the Summer. We're all really looking forward to it, so fingers crossed . We're all easy going and love a laugh so hope that will help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top