Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 11:13 AM

Re: Some Holiday Snaps - Thailand & Singapore

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Interesting snaps Bruce... I've never ventured that far abroad, but maybe some day..

It reminds me of one evening having a pint with a drinking buddy who was an M.O. in the navy. As he put it, "I've never been to Thailand, but I've treated plenty of people who have !"
Yes I have never been to the places Europeans seem to congregate en mass such as Phuket , though of course there are plenty in Bangkok. While present there are far less in Ayutthaya and Hua Hin even Kanchanaburi (Bridge on the River Kwai) where I went last August had surprisingly few Europeans a fact that surprised me. The ones you do see in these places are either teenage backpackers or older fossils like me. The mainland Chinese are the most common and most sought after tourists everywhere these days.

My youngest son is in the navy and has been to Singapore a few times to pick up dozens of the orange lifeboats Australia uses to be inhumane to asylum seekers (at $70000 a time) and send them back where they came from (ie Indonesia).
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the photos, especially Singapore, my most favourite place on the planet, I just love it there. Jurong bird park, Sentosa island, the midnight zoo, Clark Quay, I've spent some wonderful times there. A few years ago I read a book called Tanamera Road, I got quite excited when I spotted Tanamera road itself in Singapore, the taxi driver very obligingly took us up the road, wonderful.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Thanks for the photos, especially Singapore, my most favourite place on the planet, I just love it there. Jurong bird park, Sentosa island, the midnight zoo, Clark Quay, I've spent some wonderful times there. A few years ago I read a book called Tanamera Road, I got quite excited when I spotted Tanamera road itself in Singapore, the taxi driver very obligingly took us up the road, wonderful.
Mine too, clumsy. I could go back again and again. It's always changing.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Mine too, clumsy. I could go back again and again. It's always changing.
It really is a lovely place Jazzi and never once did I feel unsafe anywhere, not even when we ended up walking miles one new year´s eve at 4 a.m. (long story). If I was rich I think I could live quite happily there.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2015, 02:23 PM

I always felt safe there. When I came back from NZ I booked a few extra nights (1 night in mainland) and stayed on Sentosa. I was grinning from ear to ear the whole time. Went on a Segway, went to the laser and lights show (silly story and singing), the theme park, walked along that lovely beach, saw some monkeys.

In Singapore (we had 1-2 nites - forget which - midway on way out too) I went on the Flyer, flew a plane on the simulation, went all round on the Metro, walked along Orchard Road, in and out of the electrical shops. Took many photos of the Marina Bay hotel, walked around the ground floor of the complex, and outside. And guzzled loads of icy Milo in the nearby McDonalds.

I could easily spend a week or so back there.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2015, 02:48 PM

I'm jealous Bruce, I would love to go to Thailand, but my husband won't go abroad any more.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2015, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Great photos Bruce, so colourful too I love the view and greenery of the Boh Tea Plantation, stunning pic!

Do you know approximately how many miles you covered throughout your amazing holiday?
Distance? Difficult... where I stay in Malaysia is near the Thai border so the drive to Johor Bahru is about 700km I think so it was 1400km total then the train journey to Bangkok is about 900km, so with the trip to Ayutthaya it was probably just over 3000km all up.

To be honest not a very long trip compared to Australian journeys. For example a few years ago I drove to Ayers Rock with a side trip to Victoria and I think the journey was about 7000km in about the same time. Let's face it when I went to Tassie its 2000km just to the ferry and back.

It always brings a wry smile to my face that the flight to KL takes nearly 8 hours but for 5 hours of that you are flying over Australia.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

19-04-2015, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I'm jealous Bruce, I would love to go to Thailand, but my husband won't go abroad any more.
Why not go by yourself or with a girlfriend? You would be amazed how many 50 or 60 year old single women I meet travelling in these places.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

27-04-2015, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Being single hasn't stopped me from globe trotting.
Tweety
Scotland
Tweety is female  Tweety has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2015, 11:01 AM

Great photo's, I've always fancied going there.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top