Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2015, 05:42 PM

Re: Holidays.

Wow at Deb too! I saw that trip advertised and thought...if only. Really really WOW.

I've been looking at Anthem of the Seas for September, but still not sure as it's a lot of money, IF they still have a cabin available for single use. (Iglu advertising from £2,600)

I'd like to book something for my birthday in September, and for over Christmas but holding back for some reason. Dunno why. My friend in the US obviously has changed her mind about me going over this year, while she furnishes her new home. Still, I can wait.

You know, I was even thinking of booking a longer trip just to Singapore, as it is always being built on, there's always something new to see, and despite 4 separate stop overs there I have yet to actually see the Raffles hotel! I'd go back to Sentosa island as well.

I think while I'm still having hospital appointments (and there is one late Sept) I'm holding back on booking trips, and also while my vegetables are growing well.

Wanted to book Bournemouth for the air show but my usual hotel has nothing available. One of the last appearances of the Vulcan as well.

Might have a surge of trips from September onwards if I can get booked.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2015, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Definitely my major extravagance. In fact, possibly my only extravagance. The planning and anticipation is as enjoyable as the holidays themselves.
I thoroughly enjoy planning our holidays especially if they are DIY holidays.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2015, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I thoroughly enjoy planning our holidays especially if they are DIY holidays.
You sound like my BiL. Always looking at, and booking, cruises. He looks at the prices and waits till they are cheaper, then books.

I'd be cruising all the time if it wasn't for the dreaded single supplement. (This is when the lack of a partner is most noticeable.)
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2015, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->

I've been looking at Anthem of the Seas for September, but still not sure as it's a lot of money, IF they still have a cabin available for single use. (Iglu advertising from £2,600)
If you've not been on a cruise before, my advice would be to avoid the huge mega-liners for your first try. Yes, they are beautiful (inside, at least - outside they're not so hot!), and the facilities are superb, but the number of passengers on board can be overwhelming. It can also make for long delays getting ashore in port, and getting back on board again (not fun when the temp is sky-high and the security queue is looong).

The emphasis on these ships is more for 'party time' rather than a genuine cruise experience - which is fine if you're not looking to relax and take life slowly.

I would recommend a first-time cruise on a mid-size ship, say a maximum of 2000 passengers. Then you'll know if you'd prefer a larger or smaller vessel for your second trip (and there WILL be a second trip, trust me!)

My husband's written a few books on cruising, including one about our first-ever cruise, and another about our world trip. If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you the details.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2015, 08:31 PM

We are off to Northern Ireland in a couple of weeks we will go to see the Giant Causeway, plus other places. We spend the last day in Dublin before we sail home. Been to Southern Ireland around 15yrs ago we did the ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula, beautiful, enjoyed it more then going abroad plus the sun shone every day. Love the craic there.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2015, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Deb W ->
In April we had a week in West Cork, staying in Bantry.
My local town! Where did you stay and what were the highlights for you?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

14-06-2015, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Deb W ->
If you've not been on a cruise before, my advice would be to avoid the huge mega-liners for your first try. Yes, they are beautiful (inside, at least - outside they're not so hot!), and the facilities are superb, but the number of passengers on board can be overwhelming. It can also make for long delays getting ashore in port, and getting back on board again (not fun when the temp is sky-high and the security queue is looong).

The emphasis on these ships is more for 'party time' rather than a genuine cruise experience - which is fine if you're not looking to relax and take life slowly.

I would recommend a first-time cruise on a mid-size ship, say a maximum of 2000 passengers. Then you'll know if you'd prefer a larger or smaller vessel for your second trip (and there WILL be a second trip, trust me!)

My husband's written a few books on cruising, including one about our first-ever cruise, and another about our world trip. If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you the details.
I've been on 4-5 cruises, thanks Deb. hardly a novice!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2015, 12:30 PM

Sorry, but cruising is my idea of a nightmare holiday! But good luck to those who enjoy it.
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2015, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I've been on 4-5 cruises, thanks Deb. hardly a novice!
sorry, no offence meant, just got the impression you were considering it for the first time!
Deb W
Hereford

14-06-2015, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
My local town! Where did you stay and what were the highlights for you?
We stayed in the Westlodge Hotel. Lovely hotel, but with major plumbing problems.

Highlights were visit to Blarney Castle, and also just following the Bantry heritage trail. A lovely relaxing few days.

Oh, and we had a lovely panini in The Box of Frogs cafe.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top