Join for free
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 03:49 PM

Hong Kong in typhoon season

Lived in HK for a few years and now I see it is typhoon season again or dai fung as the chinese said. we were all given time off work and either stayed in our flats or visited other friends in their flats and played mahjong.

we would often tape up glass windows and were warned not to touch them at the eye of the storm as they would shatter.

crazy tourists used to be seen walking around with dangerous shop bill boards swinging in the wind and ready to drop on them.

yes it was a time to get together and eat, drink and win or lose some money at mahjong

happy memories!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-0...-coast/6608258
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 03:57 PM

Re: Hong Kong in typhoon season

Last February stopped over in Singapore for 3 days on the way to Australia . Boy did it rain , the rain bounced off the roads in stair rods. The gullys filled up to the top with gushing water , yet emptied in a couple of hours . The heat was intense , what an amazing place. Crime free , people lovely , I loved it .
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 04:05 PM

yes exxperienced that too in singapore. the strangest site I ever saw was a local chinese girl stepping straight into a street gully holding her umberalla and maintaining her upright stance even though the water was half way up her thigh!

we stayed at a smallish backpackers place - best way to see normal singapore street life after midnight - the entrance and cafe was open 24hrs and you could sit and sup a beer and chat to passersby - there were a lot of middle east guys trying to get into OZ and wanted to hitch a ride with us! not possible of course
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 07:52 PM

Well goodness gracious me
I thought typhoon was a cup of tea
Not to be going out in it appears
You could come back minus your ears
A game of mahjung is your safest man
Play it at home with a bottle or a can
A gross of tiles is all you need
Loads of beer and plenty of feed
Then you just sit on your ass
And wait for the typhoon to pass.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

10-07-2015, 06:38 AM

very droll!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top