Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2015, 02:52 PM

Dubrovnik

Looking at the pictures in this moths competition, I see that Mags has visited my favourite holiday destination Dubrovnik, Croatia.
We try to visit at least once a year and always stay at the same wonderful hotel, The President Hotel in Babin Kuk.
I cannot recommend this holiday destination more highly, it is just delightful.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2015, 04:43 PM

Re: Dubrovnik

A truly beautiful country, went there a couple of years ago, had a brilliant time and the people were lovely.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2015, 05:32 PM

Mum and I went to Dubrovnik on one of our cruise stopovers. I quite liked it. We went on a short coach ride to a nice little place a bit along the sea. The scenery was stunning!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2015, 05:37 PM

It's a place I've long wanted to visit, even more so now. I'll have to work on Sheila for next year's holidays.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2015, 06:45 PM

I love Dubrovnik too although I haven't visited since the Balkan War. I remember watching in tears as the TV news showed the shelling of the Rector's Palace - a few years before I had been sitting in that very spot drinking ice-cold white wine in the sunshine. Very happy memories of holidays split between Dubrovnik and the beautiful island of Mljet.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2015, 06:52 PM

Malcolm we discovered Croatia late in life and have been there four times now, it is also our favourite destination - such a beautiful country. We also stayed at the Dubrovnik President Hotel on the peninsula in Babin Kuk and always book a room on the 5th floor as they have the long balconies overlooking the sea - a great hotel and very friendly.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2015, 08:33 PM

Been many times but mostly to the main walled town centre. It's a pretty place and has seen quite a bit of modernisation in the past 3-4 years. It has a big suspension bridge by the port which itself has had a number of berths added to it. The walled town is full of shops and pleasant to walk around but gets uncomfortably hot in summer because the walls keep out any cool breezes. I've also found the shops to have rather exorbitant prices for most things so mostly just wander around.

Another similar place in Croatia that is almost like a Mini-Dubrovnik is Korcula. It's pretty as you like, easy to walk around the whole place in a day and has lots of nice cafes to sit and have a coffee or other drink.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2015, 10:06 PM

For anyone interested in Dubrovnik, here are a couple of links with photos of past holidays in Croatia...

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=29

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=5579
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 07:56 AM

Just booked for a week in October ... same place same hotel.
It's recently undergone a major re-fit Mags with a brand new wing, the old rooms as in your photo are now the exclusive province of an American Holiday 'club'
This is a pic of the new wing, the rooms are just as lovely as before but with smaller balconies and beautiful views

Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 09:03 AM

I discovered Dubrovnik on one of my many visits to Yugoslavia, back in the 70's, and fell in love with the place. I spent a week at one of the old hotels ( I think it was the Imperial) which was not far from the city walls. As a cat lover, one of my jobs every morning was to take food to where all the hungry cats congregated, having purchased suitable foods for them from the shops. Since the problems in Yugoslavia, which resulted in it becoming several smaller countries, I have always been afraid of returning to Dubrovnik as I am concerned that it may have changed too much.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top