Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 02:06 PM

Christmas Markets

Sorry, I know it's only October, I deserve to be shot.

Anyone ever been to any of the UK or European markets?

I'm thinking Lille, easily reached by train, don't particularly want to fly.

On the other hand Lincoln or Leeds are both meant to be good ones.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 02:14 PM

Re: Christmas Markets

I know my son is going to Krakow Christmas Market in Poland at the beginning of December with 5 of his friends..
I reckon any would be good just to get the feel of Christmas, i always see that Lincoln Market has a good one every year
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 02:18 PM

Being a mere male who only goes shopping if there's something I want I just wonder what you can buy at a Christmas market that you can't buy in the shops in your home town.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Being a mere male who only goes shopping if there's something I want I just wonder what you can buy at a Christmas market that you can't buy in the shops in your home town.
Very expensive Christmas tat !
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 04:07 PM

I went to Bath C M and it was not that good . So I took a walk up to the Royal Crescent and that made it worth the 4 hr journey there ..
Im looking at Worcester C M, a coach company I usually go with have a day trip there , if there's other interesting sites to see i might go ..

Alan .. Some times there are German and other European Stalls and you get to see their products , home made sweet and hand knitted fashions and other hand crafted Gifts .
That's what makes them interesting ..
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 04:21 PM

It's hard to find a traditional Christmas market now, but Rochester do a nice job as people dressed in Dickensian characters are part of it giving it that olde past times atmosphere.

List of Christmas Markets below for 2015

http://www.christmasmarkets.com/UK.html
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 04:25 PM

Hi
Lille is ace for Christmas Markets, the crepes are fantastic and you can buy things that you cannot buy in the UK.

Cheap to get to, I drive, combine it with a booze and tobacco run, booze in Calais, tobacco in Aidenkirk, the whole thing pays for itself.

Bruges also has a good one, only an hour drive from Calais, and the mulled wine is the best.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 04:31 PM

Ive been to Muster in Germany and it was lovely, the town with its black and white buidlings and covered walkways reminded me of England..

The handmade candles and decorations are lovely and for the men folk large tankards of beer and sausages a foot long should keep them busy!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 04:31 PM

Hamburg is the place to go. A huge market in the city centre and smaller ones in many of the suburbs. Frankfurt's is large but has a boring range of tat. Mainz is better but very crowded.
Although I poo-pooed it initially, Rudesheim on Rhine is a lovely little town with a nice market, loads of restaurants, bars etc..
I've been told that Cologne's market is very good.
Avoid Munich.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 04:34 PM

Initially they look really exciting and fun, all lit up and all, but the truth is, there are only about four stalls selling different stuff. All the rest are exactly the same as each other.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top