Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 08:51 AM

Booking Holidays

Which have you found best. Booking direct with hotels or going through an agent?

Read more.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...-revealed.html
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 08:56 AM

Re: Booking Holidays

We get brochures for a travel agent then book direct on line with the cruise company. Next year we got free flights and for 2017 a heavy discount for early booking saving about £400 on the same cruise offered next year, plus onboard spending money.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 09:38 AM

For hotels, I use sites such as Trivago that compares a number of different booking companies. Many seem to 'block book' a number of rooms at an agreed price for early booking. I also look up the hotel's website and book with the one that offers the best deal. Recently I've used a company called Amoma that has provided some good deals.

Flights are a different matter as I've found that the airline's website often has better prices than Expedia etc.. Skyscanner is a useful tool for comparing routes / airlines where multiple flights are involved.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 09:50 AM

Forget UK hotels big rip off places, on a cruise you get loads more for your money
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Forget UK hotels big rip off places, on a cruise you get loads more for your money
If you like that sort of thing. A cruise is my idea of hell on holiday! The thought of organised entertainment and organised tours fills me with horror for a start. I like my independence too much, I guess.

I tend to research everything online and usually book direct with airlines, hotels etc. Occasionally I'll use a hotel booking site, but I rarely find that they offer any better rates than booking direct, and booking direct often offers extras like transfers that you only get if booking direct with the hotel.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-10-2015, 10:08 AM

Don't knock something until you have tried it. I used to have the same thoughts as you until I went on a river cruise and my thoughts quickly altered. I was the most anti cruise person you could ever wish to meet.

No organised entertainment or tours, the choice is yours if that is your preference. Nothing to stop you exploring on your own when in port but you will miss a lot.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 10:11 AM

I doubt you could ever persuade me, realspeed. I would miss a lot simply by being on a ship rather than pottering to my heart's content and having time to really get a feel for a place and its people.
But I'm not knocking it for those who choose it.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-10-2015, 10:15 AM

Don't keep a closed mind is all I would say.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 11:12 AM

We always go abroad and find Travel Republic very good. I don't fancy a cruise either. Sounds to regimental for me.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 12:02 PM

We have not been abroad for a couple of years now but we used to go through a tour operator, an independent one who used to get us the best deal possible. We had usually checked our self on line before booking so knew the sort of prices that where being offered.

We have been holidaying in this country and usually pick hotels with the best deals that we have been sent through Amazon local and then booked either train (12 weeks before travel to get a good deal) or national express (again you can save if booked in advance).

Next year we are trying coach holidays as the discount prices they are offering are on par with what we paid this year, with much less hassle.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top