Join for free
Page 185 of 370 « First < 85 135 175 183 184 185 186 187 195 235 285 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 03:38 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

The final day of my 4-part programmes saw me perform a few additional exercises which are not part of the other three sessions. Now I have all this in place I can fine tune my programme as regards what weight to aim for, updating my notes after each session.

One thing I will ease up on though are the high reps. These are a stretch too far, especially during the week and when implemented into what is fundamentally a strength-based routine and they are somewhat unnecessary. I’ll add the odd set when it suits from now on instead, or if I feel the need to add some extra “weights-cardio”, which these are great for.

Also, my “target reps” will go too. There’s not a lot of point aiming for a reps goal when my main prerogative is strength and keeping toned up. My target for increasing weight is the aim, so a little tailoring will be sorted out with that too.

Finally, I may sometimes try to complete my routine within three sessions instead the proposed four depending on what I have to do during the week. As you know, my main bugbear with working nights is never having enough time and I don’t wish to fall back into that extremely stressful situation again of losing all my free space in the afternoons. So to combat this, my programme will now focus on three sessions instead of four, but will incorporate some “additional extras” so that each exercise can still be done depending on what time I have on that particular day.

I don’t expect anyone reading all that crap to digest it word for word as it’s really just for my information, but it’s best to relay every part of my routine for the diary.
Here’s today’s effort:

Wednesday, 1/8/18: Day 2
(All weights in kgs)

Lat pulldown, wide grip:
Target weight: 60kg
10x40, 10x50, 6x60

Lat pulldown, hammer bar:
Target weight: 70kg
10x40, 10x50, 10x60, 6x70

Smith shoulder press, 60° bench:
Target weight: 50kg
12x30, 8x40, 5x50

Smith flat bench press:
Target weight: 80kg
6x60, 6x70
25x35 High reps.
*Struggled to reach my target of just 80kg today. Must be all the pressing I did yesterday which is a big reason why I need to slim down my sessions and make them just three per week; not enough rest.

Machine both arms curl:
Target weight:35kg
20x20, 15x30, 10x40, 5x50
50x15 High reps.

Horizontal ‘sled’ leg press:
50x140
*A supplementary mid-week top-up between my main session which falls on a Sunday.

Ab crunch:
50x30, 50x30 High reps.

Time: 40 mins.

All well and good. A short session but enough to tide me over until my intensive session on Friday. All amendments will be recorded for next time.

Thanks for reading.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 03:57 PM

floydy, it hurts me to just read those KGs

I struggle lifting 15kgs bags using both hands from the floor to bench height and as for the 30kgs, well I can lift them above waist height and I have to keep them real close to the body
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
floydy, it hurts me to just read those KGs

I struggle lifting 15kgs bags using both hands from the floor to bench height and as for the 30kgs, well I can lift them above waist height and I have to keep them real close to the body
Hi Missy,
15kg bags are weighty enough. If I had to carry bags that heavy over a long walk or something I would struggle too after a while.
It's what we're used to. I built myself up from an 11-stone, 6'4" lanky streak of urine when I was 16 into a 17+ stone bodybuilder within about ten years, but it takes a hell of a lot of effort to do that. I've eased off a lot now but still maintain a healthy and pretty lean figure which my still-tall frame looks more comfortable with.
We all do our own thing and making the effort like you are is fabulous.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 03:53 AM

Good things going on here, everyone.

Floydy, well done on rounding out your week. You sound like you had a good week and that you are happy about increasing weight and easing off on your high rep programs. I hope you and Mrs. Floydy were able to enjoy your anniversary. This year has been hard won, and you two deserve this time together.

Missy, I am completely empathetic about your concerns about the approaching winter. I am in agreement that a good gym consultant will have some ideas for you. Express your boredom with the "dreadmill" and let the gym personnel give you some ideas - classes, the elliptical machine, yoga, indoor cycling - there are many fun things to do. You might also think about purchasing some small hand weights and a yoga mat so you can do a few things at home. I am going to buy a trainer for my bike this year so I can cycle indoors. Regardless, I think it's fantastic that you are already thinking ahead and hats off to your friend who seems to be handling her cancer recovery with aplomb. Good thoughts her way.

Tachychon, you make some interesting observations about upper body strength. I try to do four sets of 25 pushups every day and do step aerobics to keep my arm strength up for my surfing.

LQ, your are going great guns. Does the swimming make your knees feel better?

OGF, I am pushing right along at six which is my standard long distance, but one I haven't done in some time. I am back! Well as "back" as I can be after mid-century. I now things are about to get busy for you and your family for the next week, but after that you and your wife will have some lovely down time that has been a long time in coming. All the best to you daughter and congratulations to the lucky groom-to-be.

Surf is up, smooth, and glassy, so I am running five tomorrow, but not until I spend a good few hours on my little Stewart eight footer.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-08-2018, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Good things going on here, everyone.

Floydy, well done on rounding out your week. You sound like you had a good week and that you are happy about increasing weight and easing off on your high rep programs. I hope you and Mrs. Floydy were able to enjoy your anniversary. This year has been hard won, and you two deserve this time together.

Surf is up, smooth, and glassy, so I am running five tomorrow, but not until I spend a good few hours on my little Stewart eight footer.
That's really kind of you, Suzie. Thank you.
In the event, I couldn't get the time off work but we went out for a few drinks last weekend and may go out for a meal this coming Friday. All that matters is that we are still very fond of each other (even though we don't always say so).

What's a "Stewart eight-footer"? Sorry, I'm showing my ignorance here...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-08-2018, 04:31 AM

I think you can maybe tell from a few of my recent posts that I'm in a state of confusion over where exactly I'm heading with my training at the moment.

I'm unsure that I really want to go in the direction of bodybuilding again. After all, I'm probably too long in the tooth to get wrapped up in that game again. Furthermore, I think it's a pointless exercise. I mean, why bother? I'm happy enough with my current physique: I'm keeping the weight down and retaining some decent muscle tone, so what's the point of fighting the age-related muscle loss by training like mad and getting myself all anxious and stressed?

On the other hand, the high reps training was becoming too silly; banging the light weights like a crazy madman sure is good for cardio, but it's probably not very good at all for the ligaments and joints, so that's why the strength routines have reared their ugly head again.

But I'm still not perfectly content with things.

I'm thinking of discarding my programme and not working to a routine at all - maybe just turn up at the gym and do whatever I feel like doing at the time, even on the spur of the moment. The problem with that though is I would not have any goals to work for. Does that matter?

Any ideas?
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I'm thinking of discarding my programme and not working to a routine at all - maybe just turn up at the gym and do whatever I feel like doing at the time, even on the spur of the moment. The problem with that though is I would not have any goals to work for. Does that matter?

Any ideas?
I don't have a routine and I tend to jump onto whatever handy machine is free near me, which keeps things nice and varied. I'm happy just building up strength and stamina these days, really. My goal is very generalized, and it boils down to being content if I'm doing more reps than I did a couple of weeks ago. It takes the pressure off having to meet a set goal but I still get the satisfaction of seeing overall improvement.

Maybe try that for a little while and see how you like it? If nothing else it would be a nice change of pace and you could go back to your usual routine after your break.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
What's a "Stewart eight-footer"? Sorry, I'm showing my ignorance here...
I have five surfboards in my quiver, but this is my favorite! The designer is Bill Stewart and it is eight feet long. Technically, this is a pintail thruster, which means that it has three fins. The unsightly grey spots are actually where sand has become stuck in the wax that keeps me from slipping off the board. There is a leash at the bottom which is a velcro strap that goes around my ankle and is attached to a loop at the base of the board that I use in big surf or when I have a grom (child) surfer using it, which was the case on the day this photo was taken. We had had an unusual wash up of seaweed which accounts for the brown patches on the sand.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-08-2018, 04:33 PM

Suzie - Gotcha, that's what I thought it might be. looks great. You didn't need to post the pic actual size though

Tachyon - Thanks bud. I'll stick with my current routine but bring it down to three days to accommodate all my favourite sessions without busting a gut doing it. I'm feeling really good at the moment, so this should work fine.
Big Friday session as usual tomorrow.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 08:36 PM

Sounds like a plan, Floydy.

I had a surprise at the hospital, in a good way. Long story short the doc said I did indeed have bone growth in the knee joints, but that something else was going on that was adding to the pain. Turns out I had a lot of fluid in the knees, so after asking if it was OK with me, he put a 3" needle in each joint and drained 90ml of fluid of the left knee and 60ml out the right knee. There was quite a lot of blood in the fluid of the right knee so that's being tested.

I could see my knees deflate as he did it! Pain levels have dropped sharply, so I may attempt a test workout tomorrow to see how the knees do. Nothing too silly though as I might still need surgery.

Page 185 of 370 « First < 85 135 175 183 184 185 186 187 195 235 285 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top