Join for free
Page 26 of 370 « First < 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 126 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 07:56 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Well I ran about 4 miles this evening and it proved a little more stimulating than usual. Ran past 2 youngsters that were shouting at passing cyclists and they shouted abuse at me too. I stopped and confronted them. Both my height and I suppose they could have been anything from 15-17 years of age. The cockier of the 2 threatened to punch my lights out or something if I said another word. Well I did say another word but then he repeated it. I had to back down and carry on. Last thing I wanted was to end up in a brawl on the side of the road with a couple of youngsters - police - other members of their families etc.

The above has happened to me a number of times in the past. I once confronted a gang at our local playing field - I was pissed off with them hitting golf balls. When I ran up to them they changed from small teenagers to towering young men.

Still, had my say to both groups and then carried on. This time though I was assailed with such words as: 'yeah, run off you old c***'.

Boxing lessons for me I reckon - or will do some sparring with my mate. Used to do karate but I think boxing is far more potent and less complicated. You never know when you really do have to become physical.
Sorry to hear of your encounter with the young generation Mark, I've also come across that kind of heckling myself. Just smile at them and try and think of something witty to say and not provoke them and just jog on. Like you Mark, I would never change my route because of either fierce dogs or scrotes. You feel better when you tough it out.
If it came to a situation where it was either them or me I would not hesitate to floor the one with the mouth, but it would be the last resort.

Guernsey is so hilly and every run I've done since I arrived here has had some serious climbs, but it's amazing training and if I lived here I would be such an awesome runner. I've been posting my progress in 'Bob's Bits' if anyone is interested, and if not, I'll be back on here soon.....Good running and lifting guys.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 08:16 AM

It looks as if there are various types of fitness. The best runners and cyclists are usually as thin as rakes. Those who lift weights mostly will have more overall muscle and bulk.

It must be hard to get all aspects of the body fit. A runner or cyclist could not lift weights but would a person who is good at lifting weights also be a fair runner/cyclist? Perhaps so because the muscles in all parts of the body are well-developed. Possibly not as good as the dedicated runner/cyclist though.

Maybe a combination of lifting and running/cycling would be needed for ultimate fitness ..plus the time and detemination of course.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
It looks as if there are various types of fitness. The best runners and cyclists are usually as thin as rakes. Those who lift weights mostly will have more overall muscle and bulk.

It must be hard to get all aspects of the body fit. A runner or cyclist could not lift weights but would a person who is good at lifting weights also be a fair runner/cyclist? Perhaps so because the muscles in all parts of the body are well-developed. Possibly not as good as the dedicated runner/cyclist though.

Maybe a combination of lifting and running/cycling would be needed for ultimate fitness ..plus the time and detemination of course.
It's a combination of everything, Mart.
Look at athletes and especially the Olympic stars right now. For example, swimming. All of these people exercise in the gym but it doesn't necessarily mean they get big and bulky, unless their particular sport requires it.
A professional cyclist will probably have massive legs but spindly little arms. On the other hand, a long distance runner would weight around 7-8 stone wet through but train cardio-vascular for up to six hours a day in the gym, maybe throwing in some light leg exercises as well.
It's all relative.

Myself, I've dabbled in bodybuilding to a very good standard (20+ years ago) and try to maintain a reasonably decent physique by lifting moderate to heavy weights. I do very little cardio as my job sees me on my feet all night at work.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 05:43 PM

Thanks Floydy. I know one thing. A very fit 50 year old person will always beat (at anything) a very fit 71 year old person (that's me). However, a fit 70+ year old can often beat a 50 year old, or even children, who don't exercise very much.

I've quite often come across much younger people who race past only to fall behind later, especially when it comes to riding up hills. They are capable of a burst of energy OK but don't seem to have the stamina to keep going.

In the end, I suppose I will lose the ability to 'see off' even those people. Nobody can stay nimble in the face of increasing age I suppose. I hope to keep the fitness level up for a few years yet though.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 06:06 PM

If I were silly enough, I could run around the foreshores of Pumicestone Passage all day and confront nothing more belligerent than the odd buck kangaroo.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Thanks Floydy. I know one thing. A very fit 50 year old person will always beat (at anything) a very fit 71 year old person (that's me). However, a fit 70+ year old can often beat a 50 year old, or even children, who don't exercise very much.

I've quite often come across much younger people who race past only to fall behind later, especially when it comes to riding up hills. They are capable of a burst of energy OK but don't seem to have the stamina to keep going.

In the end, I suppose I will lose the ability to 'see off' even those people. Nobody can stay nimble in the face of increasing age I suppose. I hope to keep the fitness level up for a few years yet though.
Exactly mate. I only have to look at some of my younger work colleagues. They have absolutely no 'go' in them, they're half asleep all the time and hunched up from playing computer games all day on their phones.
Jeez! I'm falling deeper into that 'grumpy old man' syndrome very swiftly indeed!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 07:57 AM

Morning Guys, there is also another thing to consider when assessing fitness and that is the distribution of Fast Twitch and Slow Twitch muscles.

The long distance runner will have more slow twitch than fast twitch and therefore can release moderate energy over a long period whereas the sprinter will have more fast twitch muscles and can release all of the power very quickly as does Usain Bolt.

It is possible for say a 10K runner or marathon runner to improve the efficiency of his fast twitch by working out in the gym, but he will always be primarily a longer distance runner.

Mart, it is a credit to you to be still maintaining your fitness at seventy, although I'm catching up age wise it's blokes like you who help to keep blokes like me realising that there is still plenty of reason to keep on going.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

13-08-2016, 11:36 AM

Morning Old Grey Fox, and everyone. []
Good info there bud ^. When I used to go out running I would basically go as fast as I possibly could up a road called Steep Hill (very apt name!) in Lincoln until I had to stop. Each night I would try to go further until I reached the top with moderate ease. That way I knew that my strength and endurance was at its strongest. Talking about 20 years ago mind...
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 11:56 AM

I darent exorcise....my demon's would complain.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 12:03 PM

My training schedule involves intensive training down the pub, my half litre snatch is a joy to behold although I think I may have peaked a bit to early, for the Oktoberfest championship. I was hoping to bring back a gold.

Page 26 of 370 « First < 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 126 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top